Mar 15, 2010
Status
hello, im in my first year at UBC science, i really want to get into a med school here in Canada and have no problem moving to another Province if it allows me to have more chance. Because there is only 1 med school here in BC, the competition here will be quiet high i think.
One of my of my alternatives is moving to Alberta and applying to UoA or UoC. So my question is what do i have to do exactly to become a "resident of Alberta". Do i need a permenant address? or a Driver Licence? thanks!

thinker

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Each university will have different criteria on what constitutes a resident of the province for admissions purposes. i remember them being pretty relaxed.. especially UofA.. check out the med school website for each university for the exact info. I think one full year of living in the province before med school starts was enough for UofA.

Jun 7, 2009
Status
From http://www.med.ualberta.ca/Education/UME/admissions/dofm_require.cfm:
For admissions purposes, a resident of Alberta is defined as a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident (Landed Immigrant), who has been domiciled in the Province of Alberta or Yukon or Northwest Territories or Nunavut for a least one year immediately before the first day of classes of the term for which admission is sought. The one-year residence period shall not be considered broken where the admission committee is satisfied that the applicant was temporarily out of the province on vacation, in short-term employment, or as a full-time student. Applicants on study permit cannot establish residence during a period as a full-time student in an Alberta secondary or postsecondary institution because a stay under study permit is considered to be a visiting period.
Keeping in mind this is only for U of A. Note the bolded section. In order to gain resident status you will have to either A) Complete your degree or B)Drop out of school and start working in Alberta in order to qualify.

Several Ontario schools (Toronto, McMaster, Ottawa, Western) I am fairly certain don't have a preference for inside or outside of Ontario. Ottawa does have a preference for Francophones and Western does have spots reserved for students from Southwestern Ontario.

-Tyler

MintJulep

5+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
hello, im in my first year at UBC science, i really want to get into a med school here in Canada and have no problem moving to another Province if it allows me to have more chance. Because there is only 1 med school here in BC, the competition here will be quiet high i think.
One of my of my alternatives is moving to Alberta and applying to UoA or UoC. So my question is what do i have to do exactly to become a "resident of Alberta". Do i need a permenant address? or a Driver Licence? thanks!
I think that since you're in your first year, this is the time to study and learn and really grasp everything they're teaching you. If you can get top grades from the beginning, it works out as a plus for you for UBC.

OP
T
Mar 15, 2010
Status
From http://www.med.ualberta.ca/Education/UME/admissions/dofm_require.cfm:

Keeping in mind this is only for U of A. Note the bolded section. In order to gain resident status you will have to either A) Complete your degree or B)Drop out of school and start working in Alberta in order to qualify.

Several Ontario schools (Toronto, McMaster, Ottawa, Western) I am fairly certain don't have a preference for inside or outside of Ontario. Ottawa does have a preference for Francophones and Western does have spots reserved for students from Southwestern Ontario.

-Tyler

what exactly is a study premit? i thought thats only for international students?
my plan is finish off year 1 and maybe 2 here at BC and transfer to another university in another province and finish my degree there. I am living by myself at the dorm here anyways, ill go to any province..
thanks for all the helpful replies!