Resigned from CA-1 year, looking for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vaidyarushi

Reaction score
I am a former CA-1 position who resigned from my program after being placed on academic probation. I understand that despite an otherwise good application, this fact will make it difficult to re-enter the field again. I have a state license and a DEA license. I reapplied broadly to Advanced and R0 positions in the match and emailed most programs. I genuinely believe I have remediated my issues. I am simply looking for advice on how I should increase my chances of getting interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

What did you do during your gap? Or you’ve just resigned this year? any chance going back to your original program? Does your medical school, where you got your degree have an anesthesia program? How are you with the PD or chairman? What did you do to be place on probation? How are you sure or how can you demonstrate your problem is fixed? Are you okay not going into anesthesia? Or you absolutely want/need to do anesthesia?

I don’t have any connections, but all these questions should be thought of and have good answers to.

Edit: I am not asking you to answer these in public. They’re the hard questions any programs will have. You need to be able to discuss any of these in some length and depth before you may have a chance. Obviously if you were superstar, top 10 school, 260 steps, then you would be just fine. But the fact that you’ve resorted to a public forum, that is probably not the case.

Last edited:
Totally agree with the above. I’ll add - did you leave on good terms? New programs will want a letter from and maybe even speak with your PD. The biggest question that the new program will need answered is are you at risk for leaving / resigning again? For most programs such a threat will put you on a no go list, but some (especially a home program that may be familiar with you) could give you a chance with some solid references and reassurances your issues are resolved.

If you can’t provide that reassurance readily or your previous program can’t say much nice about you, an alternative career plan will strongly need to be considered.

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice: look for another specialty. I doubt any good anesthesiology program will risk taking you. On the other hand, you can always argue you were a poor fit for anesthesia, and get into a good residency, if you otherwise qualify.

I hope it was not a professionalism issue. That's the kiss of death in today's medical world. Gods forbid you forget you are a doctor nobody. If that was the case, you may have trouble being accepted in any good residency. PDs (and bosses in general) don't like trouble makers, even if they are right.

Last edited by a moderator: