resolution

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

songaila

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The podiatrist I shadow said as of right now the same procedures that other docs do get compensated more. So, the benefit of 2015 resolution is that the podiatrist will be on equal footing as far as medicaid is concerned. If one doesn't do surgery, the 2015 won't have as much impact, right?

Members don't see this ad.

You may wish to run a search.

Medicaid is comparatively minor and doesn't really encompass a whole lot of patients (mostly disabled and impoverished populations, although the overall number is still very significant). The main reason podiatry and the APMA are pressing to be covered under Medicaid is just to be defined as physicians across the board in every major government plan.

You might be talking about Medicare. That's the main program which a sizable number of elderly podiatric patients use to help pay for their podiatric and other medical cares.

As of right now, they are not "physicians" under the plan? So, does 2015 has anything to do with that?

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.podiatrytoday.com/article/3811

I follow your advice. I did the research and now I understand more. It is very important because when Pataki(ex-new york governor) was governor, he tried to cut the podiatry service in the ER. He didn't get to do that. It is very important in that aspect.

I follow your advice. I did the research and now I understand more. It is very important because when Pataki(ex-new york governor) was governor, he tried to cut the podiatry service in the ER. He didn't get to do that. It is very important in that aspect.
Good link. You see that podiatrists already get paid for Medicaid services just about anywhere. The official legislation change (title XIX) to make DPMs "physicians" in the federal bill is basically just a formality, but it is a highly nescessary one to the ultimate goals.

You will begin to understand PPAC and APMA goals more once you are in pod school, but legal change doesn't happen overnight. Legislation changes are slooow, complex, and costly processes. Resolution 2015 and the goal of DPMs gaining complete parity has to be accomplished slowly: piece by piece, federal bill by bill.

In my opinion, pick a good APMSA rep from your class (my honest advice is just to vote for the smartest and most mature candidate because the travelling does get hectic on a med student and you want your class well represented nationally). Pay a PPAC contribution every year if you an afford it also... every little bit helps and podiatry staying unified is the key to the profession's continuing success.

The podiatrist I shadow said as of right now the same procedures that other docs do get compensated more. So, the benefit of 2015 resolution is that the podiatrist will be on equal footing as far as medicaid is concerned. If one doesn't do surgery, the 2015 won't have as much impact, right?

It depends on the state for whether there is parody between pods and other MD/DOs that perform the same procedures.

NY did not have parody and there was legislation that went thru the state last year. I am not sure if it passed.

Is the podiatrist that you are shaddowing part of the NY state podiatric medical association?

He didn't do it because the NYSPMA lobbied along with more than half the students at NYCPM to avoid this cut.

Every year students from NY go to albany to lobby for the profession with the NYSPMA.

Hey Krab, you think there will be any changes relating to NY podiatry with Spitzer in office?

Even though shaddowing is important and you will learn alot from that podiatrist, do not take what they say as gospel. try looking stuff up as well after you hear it from the pod.

You are only getting one person's oppinion from the pod you are shaddowing, so be careful how much you take as fact or true across the board.

If possible try to shaddow a podiatrist in Jersey (where they are considered phycisians) or a residency program. I think it will be a more realistic look at the future of the profession.