Resolved. Thanks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheeseluvr

Reaction score
Resolved. Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Several of your schools are unrealtistic due to your stats and/or being an out-of-state resident (TX schools, UNC, Utah, Vandy, Yale etc).

I suggest:

MCG
Emory
Mercer
George Washington
Georgetown
VCU
EVMS
Wake
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Creighton
Saint Louis
Loyola
Vermont
Hackensack
Dartmouth
Einstein
Rosalind Franklin
Quinnipiac
Penn State
Tufts
Tulane
Wayne State
Oakland
MCW
NYMC
Albany
Nova MD
TCU

With your research background, you might consider Virginia Tech and (as noted above) Einstein.

Members don't see this ad :)
Several of your schools are unrealtistic due to your stats and/or being an out-of-state resident (TX schools, UNC, Utah, Vandy, Yale etc).
Thank you for the advice. Would ties to a state (like extended family) be enough to keep OOS schools on the list or are they out of the picture without residency?

I am about to have a gap year while I apply. I have been accepted into a one-year MBA (with a concentration in healthcare management) and have a clinical job lined up as well since it is an evening program designed for professionals. I would love to include this on my coming application but I am not sure how to since it is still in the future. Where would it be best included (primary, secondary, update letter, or not at all) and how would you write about something that you are accepted/locked-in for but hasn't happened yet?

Thank you for the advice. Would ties to a state (like extended family) be enough to keep OOS schools on the list or are they out of the picture without residency?
No, you would need to have attended undergrad or graduated high school in that state. For TX, their schools are 90% in-state and the 10% OOS spots go to high stat applicants.

Where would it be best included (primary, secondary, update letter, or not at all) and how would you write about something that you are accepted/locked-in for but hasn't happened yet?
I merged your post to your WAMC thread.

The MBA is for your own personal benefit as opposed to admissions. You could mention the clinic job in an update letter, but the main application materials are meant for things you have already completed and learned from. There is nothing of significance for a future activity.

I'll provide a little advice that I've seen work for some applicants as it relates to OOS admissions.

There are some schools that aren't really OOS-friendly but will take some OOS students ---- not a huge percentage but some. Schools like SUNY Stony Brook, University of Maryland, etc will take OOS without ties to state. (Some of this, I bet, is to try to pull in some out-of-state tuition dollars from families that can afford it). These schools are different than say U. of Arkansas, U. of Mississippi or North Dakota that take zero (or essentially zero) OOS.

What some people have found helpful is to look at interview rate for OOS students. A school maybe only accepts 15-20% of its class from OOS but tends to interview at a higher rate than that. Your main goal here is to get the interview to give yourself a chance, and so some of these "semi-OOS-friendly" schools might be worth a wager. I would say look at MSAR and try to pick a few of these OOS schools that aren't necessarily OOS-friendly" per se but that do fill their ranks with some OOS students.

Read