[Resolved]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atlas7

Reaction score
[Resolved]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wow! Congrats on the acceptances - you got in to some of my favorite schools! I'm just an future applicant, but I'll give my opinion.

Research: UCLA > UW = Northwestern.
This was based on your interests and descriptions of PIs. It can change according to your interests (eg genetics vs immunology). Fred Hutch is incredible if you want to go into cancer biology and Caltech is amazing if you want to do bioengineering. All the schools listed here have phenomenal research opportunities for bioengineering and cancer research, so pick the school where you see the best mentors.

Cost of Living: Northwestern > UW > UCLA.
Seattle is quickly becoming one of the most expensive cities to live in due to Microsoft and Amazon raking in all the CS people. The low stipend is something that their grad students frequently protest. However, LA's cost of living is outrageous. Owning a car in LA will cost fortunes, not to mention the traffic. Northwestern would probably be the most friendly for owning a car and building up some savings.

Vibes with students and staff: UCLA > Northwestern > UW.
This is subjective based on what you described. Given your acceptances to these programs, you should probably reach out to current students to discuss life at these schools in a less formal setting. That would probably clear things up with Northwestern and UW. Maybe try to reach out to some other accepted students. If you don't vibe with your colleagues/mentors, 8 years is not gonna be fun.

Family: Its sounds like your family is closest to Northwestern??? Depending on your goals, this could play a factor in moving to the WEST SIIIIDE.

Extracurricular activities: depends on your interests. Food, outdoor stuff, museums... The west coast is beautiful with tons of outdoor activities, making it great for people who like to explore nature. Chicago can get brutally cold, but if you're a foodie or museum junkie, it can be really fun too.

I'm not sure how you're ranking things, but given the importance of research and quality of life, it sounds like you'd be a great fit for UCLA. This is just my opinion. Again, huge congrats on those A's!

Last edited:
As a life long LA resident all I can speak to is the COL and affordability near UCLA.

I love the campus and it's beautiful! Sometime my fam and I would just walk around and picnic there. It's amazing and deserves the hype.

However, while the Cost of Living and taxes in LA are high, UCLA is in the beverly hills area. That is arguably one of the most expensive regions not just in LA or California but I'm the whole US. It's not just apartments and arrangements, groceries and restaurants seem a bit more pricey...because they can be. I would imagine, if not given on campus living, living alone near the campus is impossible. Los Angeles requires you have a car. The city is built around it's freeways. I suspect you will probably in a cheaper area and commute. Probably north hollywood or the Valley. ~20m away without traffic (that's a whole other discussion). If you are ready to commute, i would look in that area

It should also be noted that Cal-Tech is in a bit more affordable area but still probably a bit expensive.

I can't speak to much else you may be looking into but just be ready for the commuter life-style that LA requires.

I hope this helps :)

Reactions: 1 user