Resolved

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pandabear121

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, my personal statement is about the barriers in healthcare I saw for immigrants/refugees throughout my life because I'm an immigrant myself. Should I have done some other non-clinical volunteering besides helping refugees?
You are probably okay with your leadership opportunities with local school kids. You could always do a little more, but i don't think it's critical.

Look up schools that have specific opportunities where you work with immigrant or refugee families.

Thank you! Do you think I have a show at T20s? What do you recommend for my school list? I have been verified by AMCAS so I'd still be applying early.
See my previous response. Don't focus on the brand. Find ways to show your contribution to their program and make them recruit you.

Remove UMKC, Drexel, Temple since they will "yield protect" with your stats. You should receive several interviews from the other schools on your list. If you are applying this year you need to submit your application this month.

You have a great application on paper. You should get interviews. I hear some artifice/posturing in a lot of what you are mentioning - focus less on your perception of "top 20" schools or a superficial story/connection in your secondaries and especially in your interviews.

There is an art to coming across professional but relaxed, and being confident (not egotistical) in who you are. The more comfortable you are with yourself, the easier the conversations will be.

This is something a lot of "pre-med counseling" services fail with - they get wrapped up in the numbers game and anxious energies of their premeds, not realizing that most interviewers just want to interact with a nice person that they like and want to speak highly of. If you're interviewed, you've already passed the background check and are qualified (and you should). After that, it's just about personality.

Reactions: 1 user
Obviously the Boston schools will be good targets, and there are residencies in immigrant and refugee health there. Check schools and affiliate hospitals on your list for similar opportunities elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.