Resonance Structures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skyisblue

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is it to know how to do resonance structures?

I am able to do really basic ones, but when they're complicated, I am totally lost. I might be able to do the complex ones, but I wouldn't be sure if I've gotten them right or all of them.

Members don't see this ad.

How important is it to know how to do resonance structures?

I am able to do really basic ones, but when they're complicated, I am totally lost. I might be able to do the complex ones, but I wouldn't be sure if I've gotten them right or all of them.

know the basic concept behind resonance. It is really not that hard to work with resonance structures at all, although I doubt the DAT will ask you anything on it. here are a few rules to keep in mind regardless.
1. only electrons move. The nuclei of the atoms never move.
2. the only electrons that can move are Pi electrons and lone-pair electrons.
3. the total number of electrons in the molecule does not change and neither do the numbers of paired and unpaired electrons.

Yea, you will be good if you know how many electrons an atom has and what geometry i prefers. Know the basic structure of simple compounds like No2, Ch3OH, NH3CN, etc.

ALso, follow bodybldgdoc's rules!! Easier to understand!

know the basic concept behind resonance. It is really not that hard to work with resonance structures at all, although I doubt the DAT will ask you anything on it. here are a few rules to keep in mind regardless.
1. only electrons move. The nuclei of the atoms never move.
2. the only electrons that can move are Pi electrons and lone-pair electrons.
3. the total number of electrons in the molecule does not change and neither do the numbers of paired and unpaired electrons.

I get half of point 3, but "neither do the numbers of paired and unpaired electrons?" please elaborate....

Members don't see this ad :)
I get half of point 3, but "neither do the numbers of paired and unpaired electrons?" please elaborate....

Just out of curiosity...what study aids are you using? You seem to be really into organic chemistry. A lot of the stuff you're having issues with are addressed in Organic Chemistry Odyssey. Not only does it cover what you need to know...but it also teaches you every possible trap question. It will raise your organic chemistry IQ exponentially. Just wanted to suggest it because you seem to be concentrating hard on Ochem. If you want to ace the ochem section, Odyssey is the authority on organic chemistry for standardized tests.

Just out of curiosity...what study aids are you using? You seem to be really into organic chemistry. A lot of the stuff you're having issues with are addressed in Organic Chemistry Odyssey. Not only does it cover what you need to know...but it also teaches you every possible trap question. It will raise your organic chemistry IQ exponentially. Just wanted to suggest it because you seem to be concentrating hard on Ochem. If you want to ace the ochem section, Odyssey is the authority on organic chemistry for standardized tests.

yeah, orgo is like one of my weakest subjects. maybe everything is.....i use my textbook, kaplan bb, kaplan subject tests and destroyer...i'll probably touch examkrackers too...maybe odyssey if i have time bc u really know your stuff..plus, i'm just so dang addicted to it now...can't stop even though i was meaning to...aaahhh...i need to do really well on this test so i can get into my top choices...

yeah, orgo is like one of my weakest subjects. maybe everything is.....i use my textbook, kaplan bb, kaplan subject tests and destroyer...i'll probably touch examkrackers too...maybe odyssey if i have time bc u really know your stuff..plus, i'm just so dang addicted to it now...can't stop even though i was meaning to...aaahhh...i need to do really well on this test so i can get into my top choices...

Ok, ok....just my two cents, do not touch examkrackers!!! Have you taken ochem? If so, you're ready for odyssey. Examkrackers is not meant for the DAT. I know there are a camp of people who like to use mcat material, but mcat material so different from DAT material. MCAT free standing multiple choice questions are more along the lines of hair splitting questions dealing with very basic concepts. Don't spend too much time on "building your foundation" with the blue book for ochem. If you've taken ochem, you're ready to go directly into solving as many problems as you can digest. I say this because Ochem is an area that can be very very easy on a good day, or very hard on a bad day. Be more concerned with honing your ochem IQ. Ochem IQ is an area where textbooks fall short. Textbooks would be great for classical written exams, but multiple choice ochem questions have a huge potential for booby traps and careless mistakes. Stereochemistry, elimination, substitution reactions, conjugation/stability, and synthesis are a few areas that come to mind. Those areas rely heavily on ochem IQ and repetition.

Ok, ok....just my two cents, do not touch examkrackers!!! Have you taken ochem? If so, you're ready for odyssey. Examkrackers is not meant for the DAT. I know there are a camp of people who like to use mcat material, but mcat material so different from DAT material. MCAT free standing multiple choice questions are more along the lines of hair splitting questions dealing with very basic concepts. Don't spend too much time on "building your foundation" with the blue book for ochem. If you've taken ochem, you're ready to go directly into solving as many problems as you can digest. I say this because Ochem is an area that can be very very easy on a good day, or very hard on a bad day. Be more concerned with honing your ochem IQ. Ochem IQ is an area where textbooks fall short. Textbooks would be great for classical written exams, but multiple choice ochem questions have a huge potential for booby traps and careless mistakes. Stereochemistry, elimination, substitution reactions, conjugation/stability, and synthesis are a few areas that come to mind. Those areas rely heavily on ochem IQ and repetition.

Thanks for the love Poc. I'll keep your advice in mind.....yeah...examkrackers is like 1000 questions...:thumbdown: ok, back to studying.