Resource for IM Intern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctivist2019

Reaction score
Hi, any specific resource you found useful as intern. For example, there are many resources for EM like online videos and resident materials. I know different people have different learning style and some just do it without any organized approach. But I was wondering if there are specific books or resources that helped you get through at least intern year or rest of your residency training. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Take step 3 and get it out of the way as soon as possible. Read the UpToDate sections relevant to your patient presentations. Read ACP’s Board Basics. Do your favorite QBank. Listen to Curbsiders if you want to have some passive learning/entertainment while cooking, doing laundry, driving, etc.

Everyone does some variation or adds/subtracts some resources here and there. But you don’t need to make things overly complicated for yourself.

Take step 3 and get it out of the way as soon as possible. Read the UpToDate sections relevant to your patient presentations. Read ACP’s Board Basics. Do your favorite QBank. Listen to Curbsiders if you want to have some passive learning/entertainment while cooking, doing laundry, driving, etc.

Everyone does some variation or adds/subtracts some resources here and there. But you don’t need to make things overly complicated for yourself.
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I will check out the resources mentioned.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with above about not complicating things as there's a gargantuan collection of material and with Step 3 as its an active way of maintaining a broad base of medical knowledge while knocking out a necessary milestone of your training.

That said, there's a major discrepancy between knowledge read through a book and your day-to-day clinical work. Therefore, your most important resource will not be any reading material, but rather the method you use to prompt yourself to learn about the subtle day to day medical decisions made at work. Get in the habit of using UpToDate in the moment you have a question. Many residencies give out the Sabatine Pocket Medicine book and that is incredibly useful memory jogger before seeing a new patient and before presenting to staff. I'm not affiliated with this company but Lange Medical Diagnosis and Treatment is the best textbook for medical knowledge. It does not focus on board essentials, but rather clinical practice. For the practical aspects, googling ACP + "topic" (ex. chest tubes, IV access) can yield practical review articles. Additionally, MDEdge is a good site with tons of free information. All this said, I can't emphasize the importance of not relying on a book to teach you and trying to engage with your residency program which I'm sure you're doing. Try making your own study guides for topics not traditionally taught and take copious notes when attendings in your program decide to grace you with any lectures during the day.

Hope that helps! Feel free to PM me or reply if you have questions about specific books/resources.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much syncrohnize, that was extremely detailed and useful info. Yeah I was looking more for something that would help me streamline work as an intern (work up, patient management etc). I was an EM intern and switching to IM and wanted to see if there are useful video courses/books like they have in EM. Thanks again!

So there's no like one source like EMRA or whatever it's called, but there are some more formal resources.

If you're looking for something to read cover to cover, try: Resident Readiness: Internal Medicine (it's a green book and should be read like a book prior to residency). It's somewhat similar to Case Files. For clinic topics, the ACP has weekly articles called "In Clinic" which outlines approach to routine clinic topics. OnlineMedEd markets its lectures as a crash course to IM in the setting of COVID and they may be worth a watch, but I personally think the approaches are not what is expected at the subI or very beginning stages of residency. If you've done an EM intern year, I'd imagine a lot of these would be review. In terms of books to "streamline your work-up" you're looking for Pocket Medicine by Sabatine. Others prefer the Washington Manual of Medical Therapeutics as its got more detail. As I emphasized before, the most learning will come with experience on the wards, not from reviewing textbooks so don't go too hard. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user