Resources for 4th year MS doing EM elective?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zback

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some good resources to get the most out of a EM elective?

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are lots of great resources here on the SDN EM forum.

Check out the FAQ. There is a section called "for residents" that has links to threads about important EM articles with discussion and important "do nots."

Additionally if anyone else feels like searching up some good, more recent threads I'll update the FAQ accordingly.

Great question, and one that I had a year ago. I was led to this gem of a book, which is not highly talked about (not sure why) but is VERY encompassing and helped me get me H on my rotation for sure..... Has most dx as well as the important things to keep in mind for any given chief complaint. Allows you to develop a solid differential for every complaint and great plan of action to present to the attending and look like a superstar.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Ox..._-Q000000633-_-9780199589562&cm_mmca2=pla&r=1

"EMRA Basics of Emergency Medicine, A Chief Complaint Based Guide."

This book is like 20 pages and will easily fit into the back pocket of your scrub pants with an Iphone.

The book has the most common chief complaints you will see and their corresponding, H&P, Dx, and Tx.

Any other books that are recommended for a 4 week rotation? I have a little time off before mine EM rotations and I'd like something light and high yield to prepare for the rotation.

Any other books that are recommended for a 4 week rotation? I have a little time off before mine EM rotations and I'd like something light and high yield to prepare for the rotation.

You can read Secrets for EM...it was pretty good.

Any other resources or textbooks? I want one good textbook. I am going to use EM Basic as one resource.

Besides the really short EMRA chief complaint based book

I have seen some other pocketbooks years before in borders, but dont know titles now

seems tarascon is not chief complaint based

anybody know of any great books can carry around ED that are chief complaint based??

people say pocket medicine is partially so??

You can read Secrets for EM...it was pretty good.

I second EM secrets. It's problem based, concise and includes a decent amount of information that will not only help you manage a pt in the ED, but convince your resident/attending that you know what you're talking about.