Resources for Billing Questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acurax

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
New in practice here...

I have some limited documents regarding CPT codes and billing, but am looking for more detailed information.

Do any of you have recommendations as your go-to reference/resource for billing questions?

Members don't see this ad.

We subscribe to the Pathology Coding Service Handbook published by the American Pathology Foundation, which updates quarterly. I think it is reasonably helpful.

The University of Michigan has a good CPT code quick list: https://www.pathology.med.umich.edu/intra/pdfs/SpecimenCPTCribSheetMarch2011.pdf
This of course doesn't touch on more complex questions like "when is a lymph node a regional resection?"
Much more complete, and very well-written, is the APF's Pathology Service Coding Handbook. This has the disadvantage, however, of not being free on the internet.
Finally, if you're not in a hurry, there is this here forum, which I have found to be a useful resource to find out how everyone else is handling specific specimens.

Members don't see this ad :)
APS white pages sometimes has useful insight. Sometimes not. For cytology billing Cibas has a good overview in the end of the book.