Resources for EMT's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jonkst

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any of you know of any good resources for EMT's? I hold a license, and would like to get an interesting job at a camp or national park instead of the normal ride along in an ambulance thing at home.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

does your state have some office you can call? minnesota's office sucks and has no support.

i had to find something to do my EMT license on my own. I run with a unit that only covers sports events and stuff. I get to watch Div I games for free, boooyah!

I don't know about your state, but I know here in Cali my EMT cert can get me on a search and rescue team - which seems to be along the same lines as your national parks or camps. Also, you can work at the local amusement or water park - if they're hiring.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by oldman:
•search and rescue sounds fun.•••••search and destroy even better :cool:

If you research summer camps for kids it seems like some of them hire EMTs to work in their clinic (some of my friends who are EMTs have done this in past summers...)

How does one get an EMT ceft. in California.

(I heard you just have to take some classes at like a jc and pass the exam)

any details welcomed.

thanks

Lamd,

To get your EMT cert in Cali - check your local community college catalog. Some counties require one to complete and pass (with 80%) a First Responder class before you're allowed to go on to the EMT class. Some counties allow you to go directly onto EMT. The class is a semester long, for about 10 hours a week (160 hours total). The material is not difficult, especially with the core classes pre-meds have with chemistry and biology. Your class will most likely have a final exam, a skills exam (secondary examinations, bleeding control, c-spine, airways, etc) and a certification exam. You must pass all with 70% or above to get your cert (my county is 80% though). You can also take the National Registry exam to be certified throughout the US, and not just Cali.

Best of luck future EMT! :)

-Forensic Chick-

Do you guys think getting EMT certified stands out on your application? I plan to do this in the summer months if I have no acceptances. I'm not doing it just for the application, however, but for the experience and my interest in getting hands on experience with people. I guess what I'm trying to find out is if this type of activity is common among pre-meds.

I think a lot of people get the EMT license. A bunch of my buddies did in college. It's quick and easy. If you were a full paramedic that would be different. That takes almost 2 years of training.

In terms of patient care, don't expect a whole lot if you run on an ambulance unit. You'll get more as an ER tech (which is a job that EMTs can also do).

Some ambulances run a BLS unit with two EMT's - some run a ALS unit with 2 paramedics - and some are starting to run with 1 paramedic and 1 EMT. With the latter - you'd better enjoy rolling code 3 everywhere because that's all you're going to be doing. You'll be the driver. You won't get any real hands on experience besides taking vitals when you first get there. BLS units mostly transport from one hospital to another or pick up minor (ahem, VERY minor) patients or 5150's (people going in for psychological evaluations). I agree with OldMan that your best bet will be going for an Emergency Department Tech job. You'll get a lot of hands on experience because they'll work you very, very hard. The downside to becoming a full time EMT in either situation is the fact that it's difficult (at least here in the Bay Area) to live on an EMT salary ($10-$12/hour) when rent is $1500/month.

The skills you'll learn are invaluable especially since you'll be able to carry on the secondary examinations and general medical knowledge to medical school. Honestly, however, I learned much more in my upper division physiology class than I learned in my EMT class - but it all depends on what you want. Having and keeping up your EMT certs will look good on any job application - but just make sure that it's something that you want to do and not just something you're doing to look good on a resume (or med school application).

Good luck.