Resources for pathology rotations and residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bunya12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got a couple of away rotations lined up and I was hoping to get a resource to read as I go through the rotations. I already have a histology atlas from medical school, so I was just wondering what a good pathology residency "prep" resource might be? After skimming old threads, it seems that the Molavi book has been suggested. Any other recommendations or advice?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Also consider Quick Reference Handbook for Surgical Pathologists by Rekhtman and Bishop and pathologyoutlines.com as a free online resource. Of course, these resources are best for general SP and won't be as useful if your rotations are in cyto or clin path stuff like transfusion medicine. I would also not ignore Robbins since as a med student I found a lot of path faculty would ask Robbins-level questions to me (e.g. what is metaplasia) but of course those books will help you understand the actual signout better.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure for residency, but my clinical rotation I used pathologyoutlines.com a lot for quick reference and Manual for Surgical Pathology by Susan Lester for basics of SP procedure (outdated, but still useful). My preceptor recommended Sternberg's Diagnostic Surgical Pathology as well, but it's a bit above what I need at this point. I guess it really will depend on what you will be expected to do during your time there since path can be quite variable.

I'm not sure for residency, but my clinical rotation I used pathologyoutlines.com a lot for quick reference and Manual for Surgical Pathology by Susan Lester for basics of SP procedure (outdated, but still useful). My preceptor recommended Sternberg's Diagnostic Surgical Pathology as well, but it's a bit above what I need at this point. I guess it really will depend on what you will be expected to do during your time there since path can be quite variable.

Sternberg and Rosai are the most worthless books you could purchase. Completely useless for residency, board study, and actual practice. So many better books then those. Do not waste money on those garbage books that every resident thinks are necessary. I never bought them and used my book fund on books and resources that were far superior for my learning.

Reactions: 1 user
Sternberg and Rosai are the most worthless books you could purchase. Completely useless for residency, board study, and actual practice. So many better books then those. Do not waste money on those garbage books that every resident thinks are necessary. I never bought them and used my book fund on books and resources that were far superior for my learning.

Soooo, no actual advice then? Gotta love cynics with no useful input.