Resources to refresh on pre-reqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arch2Doc

Reaction score
I have decided to go back to school after graduating with a degree in architecture 3 years ago. I took chem 1 and 2, intro to biology, and physics but that was about 9 years ago at this point. I plan on retaking all of those in addition to other pre-reqs. I have to get some finances and things in line before starting school again, which will be in about a year or so. In the meantime I'd like to refresh on chemistry and try to learn as much as I can about other courses like bio-chem, organic chem, anatomy, etc. I realize that I need to ace all these courses, especially the MCAT.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should go about this?

Members don't see this ad.

1) Don't read the books used in undergraduate classes. Wayyyy too voluminous.
2) Princeton Review does a good job of being *really* thorough with their MCAT material.
3) Websites like Khan Academy are great for self-study.
4) When the time comes, consider a MCAT study program. Self taught or company is up to you and your comfort level and budget. But for non-trads, organization is very important.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I have decided to go back to school after graduating with a degree in architecture 3 years ago. I took chem 1 and 2, intro to biology, and physics but that was about 9 years ago at this point. I plan on retaking all of those in addition to other pre-reqs. I have to get some finances and things in line before starting school again, which will be in about a year or so. In the meantime I'd like to refresh on chemistry and try to learn as much as I can about other courses like bio-chem, organic chem, anatomy, etc. I realize that I need to ace all these courses, especially the MCAT.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should go about this?

There are several things you could do. Reading review books would be good as the provide a summary. Attending lectures at your local community college or other schools. Enrolling in an online course for reviewing/refreshing as an auditor in which you do not get a grade. This last option is popular with Senior Citizens and at the school I teach at, we have reserved about 10 spots for Senior Citizens each year.