Respiratory physio on Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wahoo07

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Is there much respiratory physio on step 1? I know content varies from person to person, but in general is it represented a lot on the test? It's my weakest subject in phys, and it's virtually non-existant in FA and I don't think BRS is that great in this subject either. Any thoughts or ideas for other resources? :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think I had one pure respiratory phys. question, something to do with maximum flow and why it cant increase in an individual no matter how hard they blow...pretty straightforward.

Wahoo07 said:
Hey all,

Is there much respiratory physio on step 1? I know content varies from person to person, but in general is it represented a lot on the test? It's my weakest subject in phys, and it's virtually non-existant in FA and I don't think BRS is that great in this subject either. Any thoughts or ideas for other resources? :)

In my opinion there isn't much to resp physio and if it's your worst subject you can be sure it will be over-represented on the Step. What about resp physio don't you understand?

I haven't had much resp physio either, just know the volumes and you shall be good to go

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies all. :) As for what I don't understand about respiratory phys, I don't know...it just seems like it doesn't "click" the way other things do. :confused: I can't really explain it. Certainly mechanics is a bit confusing, and that darn shunt equation...

i felt like i had a lot of resp phys on my test....very little respiratory path, but a lot of phys and a moderate amount of pathophys. DEFINITELY know the volumes/capacities, like someone else said.

I personally had little respiratory on my test. There was however a lot of muscle phys. Anyways if you finish Qbank you will have done many questions in respiratory phys that require you knowing all the volumes and capacities which turned out to be more than enough in my case.

Respiratory physiology is really tough for me too... I hope you don't get any tough questions on your test! :luck: