Respond to JAVMA article about student debt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justavet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So there is an article in the lates issue of JAVMA:
http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/feb12/120201a.asp
It's in JAVMA, on the AVMA website and on the AVMA Facebook page.

In the article is a chart showing the US schools with the highest rate of tuition increase from 2010 to 2012. I have data from the schools showing that is incorrect. Also giving data only form the US schools is a sin of omission, so to speak. We cannot continue to pretend foreign schools, whether accredited or not, are not a part of our world when we are discussing educational costs and supply vs demand issues.

So to me the most useful way to respond to this article is to provide a summary of the schools with the highest rates of increase over the same time period as shown by copies of actual bills paid by actual students. One issue that came up when I was comparing the numbers in the article to the numbers I have was that one source may give tuition only, another may give tuition and fees, and the difference can be significant. But the only metric that matters is what students actually have to pay.

So with that background laid out, if anyone who's got their panties in a wad about the rising cost of tuition would be willing to send copies of their actual bill from the school showing what they paid from 2010 and 2012 please PM me!

Or maybe if they received a ton of comments on the article on Facebook showing what actually had to be paid versus the number listed in an office somewhere, and the percentage increase just over the time you've been in school.

If the internet can stop SOPA and PIPA maybe it can help here too lol.

Members don't see this ad.