Response to email from programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oudoc08

Please pass the gas...
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is an appropriate response to a personal email or letter from a program who speaks very highly of you. ("Top of our rank list", "Hope to get to work with you in July", "My intention to have you at our program", etc.)

Obviously, if it's your first choice, you probably let them know so, but what if it isn't?

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed my #1 program that they were at the top of my list thinking that it means number one, but our dean says many people say that and it may not mean number one, oh well.

I am a 4th year applying like yourself. I got a similar letter and I showed it to our medical student director who is also a pediatric residency program director, and he said that a silence could hurt you. He says there is nothing wrong with saying that you love the program and that you are putting them at the "top of the list." He says unless you say #1, everybody's definition of "top of the list" is a little different. In that light, I think your top 3 of the 10 I ranked are "top of the list."

That's just the advice I got, take it as you like. Good luck man.