Responsible pharmacist in US Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mass

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the UK, a new scheme called responsible pharmacist has been introduced. It involves the pharmacist being able to take a 2 hour break to do either clinical work or just taking a break.

GSL medicines can be sold by the techinicans which was not the case before this rule was introduced.

Could something similar happen in US and what are the breaks there like each day?

Members don't see this ad.

In the UK, a new scheme called responsible pharmacist has been introduced. It involves the pharmacist being able to take a 2 hour break to do either clinical work or just taking a break.

GSL medicines can be sold by the techinicans which was not the case before this rule was introduced.

Could something similar happen in US and what are the breaks there like each day?

lazy ass Brits.. :smuggrin:

sounds like something the French made up :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)

I just glanced over the details of UK's new "responsible pharmacist" regulation (effective 10/2009)

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2008/uksi_20082789_en_1#Backf00005

Although a break for 2 hours is available, they are actually on call throughout this time.

So the question becomes would you prefer to take a 30 minute to 1 hour break and not be bothered (US hospitals allow two 15 minute paid breaks and enforce one 30 minute lunch) or have 2 hour breaks where you are on call and might have to return to the pharmacy if needed???

My question is are these 2 hour (on call) breaks paid or non-paid breaks?

On one end, it would suck to not get paid since a busy store would make the 2 hour break seem like it wasn't a break at all...(your phone would be constantly ringing)

On the other hand, it would be nice to get paid to be on call for 2 hours. But on a personal level, I rather have 30 minutes where I can eat my meal in peace (this rarely happens nowadays)

Back when i used to get mandatory breaks, i used to hate my lunches. All i ever want is enough time to eat, i hate filling up the rest of the time with sitting or other bs. I can't imagine what i would do for 2 hrs:sleep:.