Restarting research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ollie123

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have been a little surprised about the lack of ethics conversations being had about this issue right now, so thought I would post to start one here. Curious to hear about people's thoughts on research in the present climate and how your respective institutions are handling things.

We have largely been closed aside from studies with imminent life-saving health benefits (generally not psychiatry/psychology - think "We won't stop your experimental chemotherapy"). We're now in the process of gradually restarting, but I am also in a state that is still surging and I <really> question the wisdom of that decision. They are encouraging everything possible to be moved online, but obviously an enormous portion of most clinical research still requires in-person components. Even if I move diagnostic interviews online, we still need to do blood draws, EKGs, MRIs, etc. Given I also study folks at higher-risk for COVID complications, I'm considering delaying restarting my research even when the institution allows me to reopen recruitment. That said, this is all extramural funding. So far, NIH and foundations have all been incredibly supportive but I'm not sure how long that will last if the institution is allowing a restart. I also have high-risk family members so am being <extra> careful and am very reluctant to ask my technicians to do anything I would hesitate to do myself. I might feel differently if I was running treatment studies with direct participant benefits (none of my current protocols have a treatment component). All of this is further compounded by the topics my current funding examines...(at risk of outing myself for anyone seriously motivated to figure that out and hasn't yet) contextual influences on drug use motivation (particularly access to and pleasure derived from non-drug rewards - most commonly going out to do fun activities or spending time with friends/family) and GPS movement patterns in relation to psychopathology. Needless to say, both these things are very heavily impacted by COVID. Even if I start collecting GPS data right now, I think in the current environment any signal relating GPS to psychopathology is likely to be completely overwhelmed by signal from things like political views, essential job status, belief in science, etc. So I'm no longer confident the research is even worth doing in present circumstances. All of which further pushes me in the "Don't restart" direction. Yet it is soft-money. I have mixed feelings about continuing to eat up taxpayer or foundation dollars on mine and staff salaries while not doing the research even if NIH is OK with it right now. I'm certainly far from idle, just submitted my first R01, have 6 papers under review and 3 more in progress....but still. In soft-money, my salary is being covered to do research, not to write other papers. With no potential direct benefit to participants, minimal likelihood of the research being viable at present (in my view anyways) and at least somewhat increased risk of serious harm to participants just by nature of them having to travel to our research site....I just feel the risk/benefit ratio is unacceptable to me now. Yet I'm on the TT path and even with a clock extension....killing two of my first three major grants probably won't be good for my career. So this feels like quite the ethical quagmire.

Anyways - I'm sharing the above just to give some context and share some examples of my thoughts on the issue. This isn't about "solving" my situation (as I don't think there is a solution). Just wanted to get some conversation going on the broader topic since I feel like we're so heavily bogged down in the logistics at my institution right now, no one is stepping back to look at the bigger picture.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
1) I am super annoyed that you did not say "RE-research". It's right there. It's just repeating the first two letters.

2) Dixon had an article about the differences between ethics and avoiding harm.

Reactions: 1 users
Now you can REad RE-REsearch. REally?

I just pulled the article I assume you are referencing. It includes a great quote that illustrates exactly what I think is going on right now (admittedly this is him quoting Swauger).

"As we busy ourselves satisfying the IRB and teaching our students to get through the process, that is, as we “orient [our] consciousness and actions in relation to institutional ethical oversight” (Taylor and Patterson 2010, p. 11), we lose opportunities to acknowledge, discuss, and confront the real ethical issues we face in our research. We must move beyond our fear of, acquiescence to, and confrontation with IRBs toward a deeper understanding of the ethical conundrums that emerge in our work."

This is the essence of what I'm experiencing at my institution and hoping to start some discussion on with this thread.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like nothing I do right now will be have any meaning outside of the current environment. What really bothers me is starting new projects that were planned, written, and reviewed pre-COVID and funded post COVID. I also had projects that halted midway through (an EMA study), that I can't just pick up again. I believe that nothing I did pre-COVID is comparable to what's happening now. Essentially, I'm shutting everything down that isn't pandemic related. I question whether or not anything I do right now is generalizable outside of the/a pandemic.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe that nothing I did pre-COVID is comparable to what's happening now. Essentially, I'm shutting everything down that isn't pandemic related. I question whether or not anything I do right now is generalizable outside of the/a pandemic.

This really gets at the crux of what I'm feeling too. The impact of this is just very far-reaching and beyond the obvious impact, it has many more subtle effects. Plenty of very relevant cutting-edge questions pre-COVID just flat out don't make sense to ask right now and it sounds like you are experiencing the same thing. At the same time...I'm not sure I can't easily pivot to address pandemic-relevant questions. In part because I don't have funding for it and in part because my studies just aren't geared towards doing that.

This is a weird time.

I feel like nothing I do right now will be have any meaning outside of the current environment. What really bothers me is starting new projects that were planned, written, and reviewed pre-COVID and funded post COVID. I also had projects that halted midway through (an EMA study), that I can't just pick up again. I believe that nothing I did pre-COVID is comparable to what's happening now. Essentially, I'm shutting everything down that isn't pandemic related. I question whether or not anything I do right now is generalizable outside of the/a pandemic.
Yup, I halted several short-term longitudinal projects as well. It really stung since it took me forever to get them up and running, but at least the data is representative. It limited my potential analysis because of the kneecapping of participants, particularly after exclusions for attention at follow-up, but there are worse things in life.

I'm not pulling all non-pandemic research, however. I guess this depends a bit on what you're doing, but it seems a bit kneejerk to me to do so. While there are certainly limitations of generalization and clear issues that need focus, not everyone can do that and some things can/should remain going while also opening up comparisons in the future. That said, I did submit a few small grants highlighting some of these experiences as part of the study, so I'm not entirely ignoring it either. Most of my writing right now, admittedly, is also shifting to more pre-existing data in order to let the world stabilize before trying to conduct studies. In the cases where I am not doing that, I'm using the Corey & Ben-Porath (2020) article on remote administration as a standard protocol for remote study sessions in cases where its not pre-collected data when possible (doesn't work for active collections in jails, however).

I'm in a post-surge state. I had one clinical trial that got interrupted and that we are trying to get up and running again. We've converted most of the study visits to telehealth but needed to keep a couple of on-site visits incl EKG, blood draw etc. My study population is not particularly at-risk for Covid, my institution has very good safety protocols in place and everyone here is being pretty careful so I don't feel bad about this.

We did do some work at the beginning of the surge to try and figure out how to do the whole thing remotely. There is a home EKG setup, KardiaMobil, we were considering buying and mailing out/back to study participants. We ended up not going that route but the experience of trying to figure it out convinced me you can do a lot remotely. Not MRI unfortunately.

Other than that I'm on a consortium project that got terribly hamstrung. There's been a lot of trying to pivot to remote collection for biosamples etc (swapping out blood for saliva, nails, hair, etc). Overall the project is not looking good and the likelihood that it will get further funding seems to be dimming. There is a push to try to pivot the whole thing so that it is Covid-related, but it's pretty kludgy and I'm not sure how it will work out.

I recently moved institutions so didn't have much else going as far as data collection. Bunch of stuff from my old institution is closed to recruitment now, I only brought the one trial over with me and I have some submissions in and more being written.

@Ollie123 the GPS project you describe really sounds like it's not worth using the data you're collecting now for your intended aims, but why not keep collecting and team up with somebody looking at Covid case counts to see how the population movements correlate with viral surges? That seems like it could be really useful. You already have the collection setup going, and that dataset sounds like it could be a public health goldmine.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t have much to contribute that hasn’t already been stated. I am very glad that others feel compelled to have this conversation. I am assuming some discussion on this issue will occur in the Fall semester, but for those of us currently involved in ongoing and new projects over the summer we’re left out in the cold.

Reactions: 1 users
@Ollie123 the GPS project you describe really sounds like it's not worth using the data you're collecting now for your intended aims, but why not keep collecting and team up with somebody looking at Covid case counts to see how the population movements correlate with viral surges? That seems like it could be really useful. You already have the collection setup going, and that dataset sounds like it could be a public health goldmine.

Thought about this. Without getting into too much detail, part of the purpose is really more analytic than application since we're developing an algorithm that could conceivably be marketed to tech companies for a variety of purposes (wearables, lifelogging, etc.). That said, its linked to a clinical trial, zero hope we'd have a large enough N to look at infection rates (maybe 150 people at best - likely less given I imagine it will be tough to recruit in present days) and its a teeny-tiny grant (< 75k over two years) so not really much we can do to expand.

Glad to hear you like the idea though as we are considering trying to do something like this as part of a separate application. Never imagined myself studying infectious disease, but its actually a pretty natural application for what we're trying to do.