Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Restrictions on Residency Apps?

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by Squiggy, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Squiggy

5+ Year Member

Sort of random question: Is there a limit on the number of applications you send out to residency programs or to how many different specialties you apply to?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BlondeDocteur

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    your bank account / credit line alone sets the limit.

4. dragonfly99

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There's no official limit, although some medical schools do not like their students to apply in >1 specialty. Mine was kind of like that...they pretty much discouraged people from doing that because they didn't want our school to get the reputation of being a place where people applied to things like peds and IM only as a backup in case they didn't get their desired specialty.

5. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    And some other schools specifically advise folks who are applying to the more competitive things (eg derm) to do exactly that (apply to something like peds or IM etc as backups in case you don't get your desired specialty).

The downside, however, would be the amount of interviewing you'd have to do, considering you generally have to talk to many more programs if you are applying to something competitive, plus prelim/transitional years. so to add another specialty would be pretty burdensome.

6. nsap102

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There's no limit. ERAS will gladly let you rack up the bill. I met one interivewee last year who told me he had spent $6,000 in applying.

7. jonb12997

jonb12997 I'm a doctor!!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    :eek:

I can see that if you're doing something really competative or something and have to do a lot of flying around... how do you do your fourth year rotations then? that's what I want to know...