Retail part time floater?

Started by MIRPh
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MIRPh

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi , so as the title suggests ;when I apply as a part-time floater in retail what can I expect if hired.
1. I mean, will they employ me for fixed hours/week or will it be a range(for eg. 14-30 hrs/week)?
2. As a floater, in general how far from your home ,are you expected to travel for a shift? A HR lady at Target told me it could me even an hour drive away from ur home,is that true?
3. When I interview, is it realistic to ask the employer directly what type of hours to expect?
For those,who have read my previous posts,I completed the immunization certificatre course,so lets hope that helps me. :xf:
Thanks.
 
Hi , so as the title suggests ;when I apply as a part-time floater in retail what can I expect if hired.
1. I mean, will they employ me for fixed hours/week or will it be a range(for eg. 14-30 hrs/week)?
2. As a floater, in general how far from your home ,are you expected to travel for a shift? A HR lady at Target told me it could me even an hour drive away from ur home,is that true?
3. When I interview, is it realistic to ask the employer directly what type of hours to expect?
For those,who have read my previous posts,I completed the immunization certificatre course,so lets hope that helps me. :xf:
Thanks.
It will most likely be a range, depending on what is needed that week. If a lot of people are sick/on vacation, you may need to cover a lot of different stores. If nobody is out, you might not get many hours. Generally, you float within your district, so floating for Target will likely be a bigger district than a CVS or Wags since there are fewer stores in a given area, but yes, traveling over an hour is not unheard of.
 
I've traveled up to 170 miles.I was put up in a motel for the week. I've also traveled 80 miles each way6 days each week for 5 weeks while another RPh was on FMLA leave. Fortunately, they paid 54¢ per mile after the first 30 miles and drive time minus the first 30 minutes. As for any time /hours guarantees... I wouldn't count on it.