rxkrafted

5+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2014
Status
Pharmacist
I am planning to become a floater at CVS as a second job because I worked for them in the past. My question is how the scheduling usually works for floaters? Do you have to work a minimum amount of hours a month?

Last edited:

ldiot

2+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2015
Miami, FL
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Not if you are part time. If you are full time you have to work enough to keep benefits.

OP
R

rxkrafted

5+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2014
Status
Pharmacist
How does picking up shifts as a floater work? Does the district supervisor reach out to you or is there a schedule you can look at to see available shifts to pick up voluntarily?

ldiot

2+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2015
Miami, FL
Status
Resident [Any Field]
How does picking up shifts as a floater work? Does the district supervisor reach out to you or is there a schedule you can look at to see available shifts to pick up voluntarily?
From what I understand there is a dedicated scheduler for the floaters. Extra shifts are offered first to the floaters and then to pharmacists with a home store if they still aren't filled. I imagine there is a list of shifts but I'm not sure, and it may depend on the district and demand.

Someone who has actually floated could probably clarify. I've heard of some floaters struggling to get over 30 hours and I've seen others who are working 60+ hours weeks and don't even want to.

maria1oh

10+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2009
Status
You will be emailed 1-3 weeks ahead of time asking you to cover shifts. Differrent districts may vary. Sometimes you will get called the same day in cases of call offs/emergency. Typically the drive time was less than an hour but again this will vary by your location (urban or rural).
If they call/email asking you to cover at a store 2 hours away be sure to ask about reimbursement for mileage and hotel. There are some cvs stores in the middle of nowhere that are sometimes really busy so when their pharmacist goes on vacation corporate brings in floaters from a big city.