Retail will do hell to your body (and mind)

Started by bluc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bluc

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1776623061824.jpeg


You should be looking for another line of work on your first day at CVS
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There's something else going on. Most of the generation I am in are fairly fit and look youngish from not being in the sun (more so than what my fat self would be if I didn't do granddad-speed triathalons). I certainly don't like standing as long as most retail pharmacists do. He' is also a late entrant. A lot of it is not eating crap food while at work, something that I definitely noticed as a difference between healthy and unhealthy pharmacists. It's too easy to fall into the trap, which was why when I practiced retail, I made meal prep style meals during that time.

The high-volume workers are running around and look ok. Maybe it's survivor bias?



I still do that despite my income during very busy periods in the university because I don't want to go out to eat or take too much time when there's a deadline on the table to get through. I always do that when I'm practicing within VA as the food quality within VA is substandard even for Sysco/US Foods. I think fondly of those meal prep companies now and would have been an addicted to that service had that been available at the time.
 
I remember my 'preceptor' about 50 years old, hiding in the medication dock, sitting on the foot stool for a few minutes off camera...
 
I remember my 'preceptor' about 50 years old, hiding in the medication dock, sitting on the foot stool for a few minutes off camera...
I remember my preceptor was a big shot until I was her student during rotation and then I found out she wasn’t even being paid to run her little clinic. Just a mere volunteer she was.
 
I remember my preceptor was a big shot until I was her student during rotation and then I found out she wasn’t even being paid to run her little clinic. Just a mere volunteer she was.
she must have been a professor.
amb care is tricky. there a few competitive private and some federal real positions.
difficult to say what you do as opposed to the responsibility of the NP.
there is a lot of turf wars which you always lose.
 
I’m kind of interested in the self description of being fit…230lbs is still a lot even if 6’4’’ (classic bro trope of overestimating muscle mass)…swim and lift every other day. Activity/exercise can become complicated with aging and health complications. Doing the same routine & not adapting overtime isn’t a great strategy in staying fit

Personally I’ve been into fitness for over 25 years and have gone through several major changes in terms of how I prioritize activity…decade long phases of focusing on 1) learning exercise variety 2) injury prevention & time efficiency & 3) mobility/flexibility, functional fitness with more real world carry over

Doing the same thing over and over again & expecting the same outcome is insane
 
Last edited: