• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

songaila

10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
I am just curious why optometrist don't like retail that much. The comparision to pharmacy is a legit one. If it's not retail, pharmacist wouldn't be in such shortage and thus the income

I have seen optometrist in Lenscrafter and they are just like the private practice ones.

Also, optometrist makes six digits right off the school in the retail. CNN.com says it is one of the profession in demand. So, why keep saying there is an oversupply of optometrist?

Is it just one of those things in every profession that everyone has to vent something. "the poor old me" attitute?:laugh:

Opii

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2005
Status (Visible)
I am just curious why optometrist don't like retail that much. The comparision to pharmacy is a legit one. If it's not retail, pharmacist wouldn't be in such shortage and thus the income

I have seen optometrist in Lenscrafter and they are just like the private practice ones.

Also, optometrist makes six digits right off the school in the retail. CNN.com says it is one of the profession in demand. So, why keep saying there is an oversupply of optometrist?

Is it just one of those things in every profession that everyone has to vent something. "the poor old me" attitute?:laugh:

CNN probably got their statistics from AOA. I don't think a realistic study on how much money optometrists make has been actually made.

IndianaOD

10+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometrist
Oversupply is real and crippling the profession. There are so many ODs out there that many of them sell their souls to retail and provide $29 eye exams. I don't know about you, but my training and expertise is worth a lot more than that.

Here's proof. Call around and see how quickly you can get a routine eye exam. I'll bet in 90% of cities this will be within days if not the same day. Try this with dentists, MDs, podiatrists and it will be weeks minimum.

Lastly, the salary figures are very misleading. You can make good money in retail but they are usually 6-7 day leases. The exams are short with high volume. No matter how good a grad you are, retail will errode your skills as a medical professional as you spin dials day in and day out to crank out RXs for your Retail masters at a frantic pace. There is no respect in this setting and it makes us all look bad PERIOD. Burnout is very high with the extreme repetition.

Please if you think you will practice retail choose another profession.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.