Retake a D in Calculus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missfrizzle

Reaction score
Asking for a friend, would really appreciate any help.

My friend had a really bad GPA her first two years, but has a really strong upwards trend (4.0 her last year in hard science classes). She has a D in call that she doesn't want to retake. Will it hurt her if she applies with the D?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If the calc class is a pre-req, then I believe she will need to retake it. My understanding is that a grade of C- or worse in a pre-req is grounds for re-take.

Reactions: 1 users
What Oso said before..
If the med school she applies to requires calc as a pre-req, they likely will require a C or higher. Good news is fewer and fewer schools are requiring calc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha this whole process is making her really neurotic sorry. Thanks for taking the time to answer

She is in good company in that department.

Anyway, the MSAR can answer a lot of this for her regarding schools she might be interested in. As well as their websites.

Independently of whether calculus is a pre-req for the schools she eventually applies or not, re-taking is worth it, especially if you say she has made a sustained, recent effort to improve in college - she should capitalize on that momentum. A better grade may raise her GPA (even if the increase is minimal, it's better than nothing) and that would also cover all bases regarding calculus as a pre-req - she would not have to worry about that class anymore.
Of course, there may be situations where re-taking may not be convenient. For example, if she only has one semester before graduation and her class schedule is already heavy for that last semester.

Reactions: 1 user