Retake a failed class at a UC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seji

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I might get an F or a D in general Chem. Do I need to retake it at my UC, or can I just retake it at a community college where I will take the rest of my prereqs? So, do i need to retake failed grades at the home institution or is anywhere okay? And should I change the grade to pass/no pass if I am not going to do well?

Members don't see this ad.

Several problems here: Should you re-take it at comm college...no!

Should you be taking ANY pre-reqs at comm college? Probably not!! So many schools don't like to see community college credits or have outright restrictions on them.

Should you change the grade to pass/fail? You shouldn't really do this for any major pre-req for dental school. You should get a grade for the course, and a good one at that.

retake at the same or different UC. If that's not possible look into UC extension programs. Take it in the summer and be done with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you know you are going to get a D or an F i would try to withdraw from the class immediately if possible...you will get a W on your transcript but it will not affect your GPA at all...

even 1 D or F can seriously hurt your chances of gaining admission to dental school so i would avoid this at all costs...even if you retake and get an A most schools simply average out the grade

I might get an F or a D in general Chem. Do I need to retake it at my UC, or can I just retake it at a community college where I will take the rest of my prereqs? So, do i need to retake failed grades at the home institution or is anywhere okay? And should I change the grade to pass/no pass if I am not going to do well?

If you can, try to withdraw from the course. A W is tons better then a D/F. I would know from experience:oops:

so i should take the withdrawal. why can't i take it at a community college. I switch career paths, and now I won't be able to take more units at my uc. Should I just withdraw and take it at a community college?

If possible you should withdraw. I came from a JC and got 2 D's at a UC and I regret not withdrawing bc my GPA took a hit.

But it's not impossible to get in to a good school or get interviews if you took all your prereqs at a JC (I did); it does make it harder however. Good luck!