1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Retake a pre-req for a better grade?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by drtoothy, May 14, 2007.

1. drtoothy

Dental Student
    I just got back my grades from this semester, which was really rough. Should I re-take this course over the summer for a better grade? This is totally sinking my Science GPA and overall GPA and I really wanted to be a competitive applicant for dental schools, but I'm really freaked out about this.

#1 drtoothy, May 14, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Lidopaine82

Lidopaine82 Senior Member

Dentist
    Biology?? don't waste your time. just do better in the rest of your classes

4. Nasem

Pre-Medical
    how is one class sinking your over all and science Gpa ?

my other question is, if you think you did bad in biology what makes you think a super accelerated course in the same subject (6 week summer course) is going to give you an edge for obtaining a higher grade?

If I was you, I would put it behind me and push forward and obtain higher grades in your other classes....

5. janeliu

I took the first time DAT one year ago and applied 16 schools last cycle ending no interview at all. Please help me figure out the reason. I start application in middle of August and Scool did not receive my file until the end of Oct. I have bachelor degree in chemical engineer / Master in Accounting and working full time as an account. I have three years chemical research experience and some dental clinic experience. So I took DAT again on 05/10/07. Please compare the two scores and which look better. Should i retake it again? How you think the chance for me next cycle. I am already 32 years old.
    1st:
    Perception: 18
    Quatity: 26
    Reading: 14
    Biology: 19
    Chemistry: 18
    Organic: 15
    Total science: 18
    AA: 18

2nd:
    Perception: 16
    Quatity: 19
    Reading: 13
    Biology: 18
    Chemistry: 25
    Organic Chemistry: 22
    Total science: 20
    AA: 19

6. Nasem

Pre-Medical
    Don't panic, your not in the crapper just yet lol
    The ONLY problem I see with your application is your reading, its REALLY low, so low that it scares adcoms into thinking you might not be able to power read your way through the first 2 years of dental school.
    I suggest the following, start subscribing to multiple scientific journals, and read atleast 45 minutes to an hr EVERYDAY in those journals, do this for the next 6 to 8 months and your reading ability should dramatically improve.
    Make sure you read with full underestanding, don't let your mind wounder away when your eyes are looking at the words, instead try to concentrate hard so you can underestand what the author is saying... if you come accross a word you don't know its meaning, quickly hit up dictionary.com , find the definition, and WRITE IT on the magazine so that you never forget the meaning.

mean while your doing this, start reviewing your chemisties / biologies / math / and PAT, cause in 6 to 8 months, you'll be ready for the DAT one final time

Good luck

7. janeliu

You mean i still can't get in with this score, right? English is my second language.

8. SoCalDent

Dental Student
    In my opinion you cannot get in with that reading score. Many schools have an absolute minimum of 16 or 17. The fact that english is not your first language does not make this better because Dental school is taught in english. I suggest you seriously improve your RC section. Don't give up though. You can do it.

9. janeliu

I should apply with the second DAT score in May and re-take DAT three monthes later(arround middle of August)? Update my application if new score is better than the second one?

10. SoCalDent

Dental Student
    The first thing you should do is get on the phone and speak to as many schools as you can about their expectations and your application. Maybe some schools don't mind? I think the rest of your plan is good though. I do think you will need to take the DAT again though. Study hard for that reading section! Good luck!