Retake advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zaxos

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just spent the summer studying using sn2ed and got a 24 on first mcat and sadly went down to 21 on second. My practice tests were anywhere from a 27-31, so this was not what I was expecting. I am going to retake in January and was wondering if you guys had any tips for retaking? I am looking into getting kaplan on demand to have even more practice materials. Any suggestions on whether I should supplement some of their subjects? Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

What section(s) decreased on your second try and how did your studying differ the second time? Also, what were your feelings like during your second exam as opposed to first and as opposed to your practice exams? Nerves, content, timing, etc.

Well I had scheduled the second one immediately (2 weeks) after the first, which in hindsight was a bad choice. So I didn't have my first score yet. I did this because I wanted to get two scores in and knew I couldn't wait for the scores of my first test which was on 7/25. The first one I felt verbal was really tough and scored a 6. Second one I felt much better but for some reason my physics drastically dropped. I think I was burned out to be honest.

7/25: P10 V6 B8
8/9: P6 V8 B7

I can relate to the feeling! Your practice test scores indicate a pretty solid grip on content and for scores to fluctuate between two tests that much is likely just burnout/nerves. I have taken the mcat three times. My first attempt was after a petty content review in exam krackers and 0 practice in summer 2012. Made a 21(7/6/8). I took my second MCAT this summer in August and really buckled down on studying. I covered all the content well but I spent way too much time drilling info into my head and not enough time becoming fluent with applying it and taking the test, not to mention I was burnt out pretty bad. My practice scores touched into the mid 30's but I was inconsistent and I was having trouble making PS and BS work. I took the exam before feeling ready and made a 30-9/13/8. I had a lot of trouble finishing PS and BS and my brain was just fried. Considering my bio didn't increase from the first attempt is actually unbelievable given how much more I was prepared. Pretty upset. Anticipating a retake, I signed up for a September exam a few days following my aug test and started practicing instead of reviewing. My practice test scores were consistent this time and didn't dip below 34. I think all the info was there the first time but I didn't give my head a chance to connect all the dots and rest. My nerves were much better taking the september exam and I felt far more confident after leaving. Anxiously awaiting those scores! Based on the practice exams I would highly stress the importance of not overdoing it and practicing rather reviewing. All your hard work is useless unless your brain is prepared to use it effectively. This means eliminating nerves as best you can, being familiar enough to score consistently, and having confidence. You absolutely have the potential to score at or above your highest practice exam. I bet if you compile as many practice exams as you can and diligently use/review them, it will eventually click for you and it will become far easier. Something that helped me a lot was keeping a little test journal of all the mistakes I made both content wise and in my approach. I would look at my journal before attempting another exam and this really helped me eliminate the destructive tendencies I had while taking the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you were scoring 27-31 taking it under test conditions, you need to identify what your real problems are. It can't be your knowledge of you'd be getting an average in the low 20s. Maybe test anxiety?

I think the second time I was burnt out. The first I think I just got hit with a bad verbal section. I remember saying the last two passages were really rough, but I never scored so low (6).