retake before or after application? (pre-req course)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ABT182

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received a D in bio lab as a fresman. I have since done a 180 degree turn and have a great chance at DO based on GPA. I plan to retake bio lab this summer WHILE studying for mcat.

Will schools automatically throw out my application because of my D in bio lab? Or can they do a kind of "well accept you as long as you finish bio lab by the end of the year".

Also, my school only offers bio lab during the spring and summer.

Members don't see this ad.

I received a D in bio lab as a fresman. I have since done a 180 degree turn and have a great chance at DO based on GPA. I plan to retake bio lab this summer WHILE studying for mcat.

Will schools automatically throw out my application because of my D in bio lab? Or can they do a kind of "well accept you as long as you finish bio lab by the end of the year".

Also, my school only offers bio lab during the spring and summer.

Put it as planned and retake it just to be safe. It probably won't be something that keeps you out on its own.

Will it make a difference if i retake take it in the spring? Is that too far of a gap from the application period?

Id prefer to have july completely free for the MCAT and retake in spring if possible

Will it make a difference if i retake take it in the spring? Is that too far of a gap from the application period?

Id prefer to have july completely free for the MCAT and retake in spring if possible

It shouldn't. Bio Lab might help you on the MCAT though.. PCR, Electrophoresis, etc.