Retake calc or study for MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MawbleIM

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I have a quick question! I got approved of 12 credits this quarter (yay) but one is a math class (calculus). The reason I added it is because I got below a C- in calc2 at my undergrad and using Goro reinvention guide I should retake calc 2. However to get to calc2 I need to take calc1 at this postbac ( i dont think they would approve me and I need a refresher).

My question is, is this an okay plan? My other two classes are immunology and genetics! I know some schools dont really care about calc but I also dont want to limit myself!

Also, taking these classes will interfer with my MCAT studying time. Is it worth it or should I only enroll in the two bio classes?

Members don't see this ad.

honestly it depends on how intensely they are taught at your school. I suggest going to ratemyprofessor.com and checking out the professors. Pick the ones that say "easy A", or "reasonable". Also, calculus is not a lot of volume, but is hard conceptually, while the biology courses are more volume. I think you will be fine, just dont fall behind on the material!
use Khan academy for everything you can before you watch the lectures at your school, - this will help you concentrate on important stuff.

So I’m leaning towards just doing the two bio classes for a few reasons

1) cost: I’m paying out of pocket for all this so having the extra class is going to cost more:/

2) I already have math credits. I got a B in Intro to Stats at my junior college before transferring to my 4 year. I got a B in calc1 at my 4 year but then got a low grade in calc2. But I’m pretty sure my stats and calc 1 credits will due for most schools.

3) I need to do well on the MCAT and I want to give myself the best chance possible at succeeding in this. Taking classes that may be unnecessary may have negative effects on that.

My only issue(s) are that I will have that C- on my transcript in calc 2. And I hope admins won’t focus on that :/

Members don't see this ad :)
So I’m leaning towards just doing the two bio classes for a few reasons

1) cost: I’m paying out of pocket for all this so having the extra class is going to cost more:/

2) I already have math credits. I got a B in Intro to Stats at my junior college before transferring to my 4 year. I got a B in calc1 at my 4 year but then got a low grade in calc2. But I’m pretty sure my stats and calc 1 credits will due for most schools.

3) I need to do well on the MCAT and I want to give myself the best chance possible at succeeding in this. Taking classes that may be unnecessary may have negative effects on that.

My only issue(s) are that I will have that C- on my transcript in calc 2. And I hope admins won’t focus on that :/
Don't worry; they won't. You HAVE to retake prereq C- and below, because schools won't accept that grade for a prereq. For any other class, retaking is a loser because adcoms expect As on retakes, so you have nothing to gain and everything to lose. Since you don't need calc2 because it's not a prereq, there is no reason to put yourself through this. Assuming the rest of your app is strong, a C- in calc2 won't be the reason you won't be accepted. Good luck!!!

Don't worry; they won't. You HAVE to retake prereq C- and below, because schools won't accept that grade for a prereq. For any other class, retaking is a loser because adcoms expect As on retakes, so you have nothing to gain and everything to lose. Since you don't need calc2 because it's not a prereq, there is no reason to put yourself through this. Assuming the rest of your app is strong, a C- in calc2 won't be the reason you won't be accepted. Good luck!!!

That’s very well put! I guess I’m just being neurotic and know I have a low GPA and want to do anything to remediate it. I guess if I just focus on doing well in the classes I have bio wise and the kill the MCAT I’ll be in a solid spot!

Reactions: 1 user
That’s very well put! I guess I’m just being neurotic and know I have a low GPA and want to do anything to remediate it. I guess if I just focus on doing well in the classes I have bio wise and the kill the MCAT I’ll be in a solid spot!
This is definitely the right move. Getting an A in calc2 will only look like GPA padding anyway, since you don't otherwise need the class for anything, plus it's not even guaranteed. Added to the fact that you'd have to retake calc1 AND pay for both classes out of pocket, this is a total no-brainer. As you said, just make sure you do well in the classes you do take.

Don't let anything interfere with MCAT prep. You only want to take it once, and it's your single most important metric, probably equal to your entire GPA. Don't kid yourself into thinking a great MCAT score is the be all of a successful app, because it isn't, but a crappy score could definitely sink you!