Retake Classes or go with SMP/MBS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BillyBaggins

Reaction score
Does it make sense to do a SMP before retaking classes you didn't do well in undergrad? I know it's counter-intuitive but I've taken all my pre-med requirements, graduated from a top 30 school with an uGPA of 2.65, virtually no post-bacc out there would accept someone like me and there are slim chances of me entering most SMP since most require a 3.0 as a baseline GPA. After thoroughly researching SMP, I came across the Geisinger MBS program. It isn't particularly competitive but I was accepted. I've been in contact with some current students there and it sounds like a great opportunity. However, now I'm thinking if I should have retaken all the classes I did subpar in at a local college before applying to a SMP. What are your thoughts on this? Is my route unorthodox? Keep in mind, I've taken all pre-requisites so I'm not putting myself at a disadvantage by doing the program plus, I don't want to waste precious time.

Members don't see this ad.

What grades did you get in the prereqs?

Does it make sense to do a SMP before retaking classes you didn't do well in undergrad? I know it's counter-intuitive but I've taken all my pre-med requirements, graduated from a top 30 school with an uGPA of 2.65, virtually no post-bacc out there would accept someone like me and there are slim chances of me entering most SMP since most require a 3.0 as a baseline GPA. After thoroughly researching SMP, I came across the Geisinger MBS program. It isn't particularly competitive but I was accepted. I've been in contact with some current students there and it sounds like a great opportunity. However, now I'm thinking if I should have retaken all the classes I did subpar in at a local college before applying to a SMP. What are your thoughts on this? Is my route unorthodox? Keep in mind, I've taken all pre-requisites so I'm not putting myself at a disadvantage by doing the program plus, I don't want to waste precious time.
Suggest retaking all C- grades and lower, especially in the pre-reqs.

You can always do a DIY postbac.

read this:

Members don't see this ad :)
What grades did you get in the prereqs?
I got mainly Cs and C-s on my pre-reqs

Gen Chem 1: B
Gen Chem 2: C
Gen Bio 1: B-
Gen Bio 2: C
Orgo 1: C-
Orgo 2: B
Biochem: C+
Genetics: C-
Physics 1: C-
Physics II: B
I don't have to retake the ones I crossed out (didn't cross out Biochem because I would like to retake it for the MCAT). But my real question is should I go ahead and do the Geisinger SMP, excel in the courses and then retake the pre-requisite? or vice-versa? If I do the vice-versa, that means I won't be taking the Geisinger admission.

Suggest retaking all C- grades and lower, especially in the pre-reqs.

You can always do a DIY postbac.

read this:
I've read through the thread but it's geared towards repeating classes and then doing a post-bacc or SMP. My question is does it make sense to do an SMP and then repeat my pre-reqs? How do admission committees view that approach because, from my pov, it seems unorthodox? I'm confused and it's making me feel extremely depressed. I've been out of college for 4 years now (graduated at 20), will be like 26/27 if and when I get into medical school so I want to know what to do now so I waste no more precious time.

My question is does it make sense to do an SMP and then repeat my pre-reqs?
I don't want to waste precious time.
No, it doesn't make sense. You'd be doing it backwards. Retake all C- science classes especially in the pre-reqs (you need to pass with a C grade at minimum to qualify for admission to medical schools).

It would be wise to have a competitive MCAT before embarking on a SMP.
What's the rush? Age? This is a marathon now not a sprint. It took you 4 or so years to earn that crappy GPA. It's going to take a few years to reinvent yourself.

Last edited:
No, it doesn't make sense. You'd be doing it backwards. Retake all C- science classes especially in the pre-reqs (you need to pass with a C grade at minimum to qualify for admission to medical schools).
This.

Also, I generally recommend taking the mCAT before NOT during the SMP. That way you can apply as soon as you're finished. A poor MCAT might still work with an SMP, but just make sure that the SMP is given at a med school, especially one with a strong linkage, and one you'd strongly want to attend.

Reactions: 1 user
This.

Also, I generally recommend taking the mCAT before NOT during the SMP. That way you can apply as soon as you're finished. A poor MCAT might still work with an SMP, but just make sure that the SMP is given at a med school, especially one with a strong linkage, and one you'd strongly want to attend.
Thanks guys, I've come to the decision and realization that retaking the classes, performing well on the MCAT and doing an SMP is the best route. But based on the classes, I have to take as highlighted above, what's the best way to schedule my classes? I know this is something I have to talk out with an advisor but is it best to take 3 classes a semester? And do I have to take the labs, the labs at my undergraduate classes were separate and I did well on them. So, should I mainly be focused on the courses? Thank as you respond.

Thanks guys, I've come to the decision and realization that retaking the classes, performing well on the MCAT and doing an SMP is the best route. But based on the classes, I have to take as highlighted above, what's the best way to schedule my classes? I know this is something I have to talk out with an advisor but is it best to take 3 classes a semester? And do I have to take the labs, the labs at my undergraduate classes were separate and I did well on them. So, should I mainly be focused on the courses? Thank as you respond.
The more rigorous the class schedule, the closer it is to med school.

Retake labs only if they were seperate required lab courses and you fared poorly in them

Of course you should focus on your courses!!!

Retake labs only if they were seperate required lab courses and you fared poorly in them

Just to be sure I understood what you were saying here, you are saying I should retake lab courses like an independent study lab course if I did poorly in them. If not, I shouldn't worry about taking organic chemistry lab for example, although I have to know the laboratory principles for the MCAT and moving forward. Just focus on the main course and move on.

Just to be sure I understood what you were saying here, you are saying I should retake lab courses like an independent study lab course if I did poorly in them.

YES

If not, I shouldn't worry about taking organic chemistry lab for example, although I have to know the laboratory principles for the MCAT and moving forward. Just focus on the main course and move on.
Correct