retake classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Texasboy86

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All! Well im entering my senior year and am applying in June of 2009 for the 2010 cycle( will be taking a year off). I made a C- in Gen chemistry 1 and 2 and was wondering if these must be retaken before I apply? Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I think the consensus on here has been that a C- in prerequisite classes should be retaken

this is something else my advisor (dudes got like 20 yrs exp) told a kid....."if u make a lower grade in pre req course then u can compensate for that by performing better in an equivalent higher level course." So say u got those c's in gen chem.....well if u have taken say inorganic chem, adv inorganic chem, analytical, transition metal chem, etc and made A's u might be ok

Members don't see this ad :)
retaking courses is not always the best option, because you are *expected* to do better when you retake, so it's not as if you're showing how well you do in the subject.

I agree with Lemoncurry. Also you want to make sure that you school allows to re-take the same course. The school where I did my post-bac did not allow that.
Additionally you have to consider the fact that your final grade calculated on AADSAS website will reflect the average of both grades, re-take and c-.
Unless you are sure you will get a grade close to A, I think it's a risky move.

I agree with Lemoncurry. Also you want to make sure that you school allows to re-take the same course. The school where I did my post-bac did not allow that.
Additionally you have to consider the fact that your final grade calculated on AADSAS website will reflect the average of both grades, re-take and c-.
Unless you are sure you will get a grade close to A, I think it's a risky move.

Let's not forget about that fact that most dental schools require a grade of C or better in ALL prerequisite classes.

Yea thats why I felt I had to retake them because some schools require a grade of C or better in prereqs. These classes were my freshman year when unfortunately I didnt really study :( . But even if I rock the gen chem section on the DAT, will the schools still require me to retake these classes? Im entering my senior year and i wud suck if I had to take these classes after I graduate. But I guess we must do what we have to.

this is something else my advisor (dudes got like 20 yrs exp) told a kid....."if u make a lower grade in pre req course then u can compensate for that by performing better in an equivalent higher level course." So say u got those c's in gen chem.....well if u have taken say inorganic chem, adv inorganic chem, analytical, transition metal chem, etc and made A's u might be ok

Sometimes those upper division classes are easy...especially if you pick them out. Those lower divisions are sometimes weed-out classes with low % A's.

retaking courses is not always the best option, because you are *expected* to do better when you retake, so it's not as if you're showing how well you do in the subject.

Exactly, making up for it with an A would not be great. An A+...that would do the trick IMO.

For sure retake, but don't get anything less than an A.

You don't have a choice if you are going to retake those classes because they are pre req's and ALL schools require nothing lower than a C but if you are thinking about retaking other classes I would take a different class that would be the equivalent. I think this looks much better on an application.