Retake core courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Unepetitevoix

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got a 3.2 in community college, before transferring to a university, and getting a 2.3 (with random trends, but bombing with two D's my last quarter.) Most of my core science courses were done at community college, and in chemistry, math and organic chemistry, I got a lot of C's.

I just graduated, and I am trying to decide what my "game plan" is. I figure because of my GPA, I can't apply anywhere (SMP, post-bac) quite yet, until I take some courses that will improve my overall GPA to at least a 3.0.

So I'm wondering:
1. Should I retake core courses (therefore averaging out those C's to B's should I get A's?)
2. Should I retake bad upper division courses?
3. Should I take random upper division courses?

Also, what time frame am I looking at for applications to SMPs?