Retake DAT in October???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elly730

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am debating whether i should retake the test AGAIN (after I quit my job ofcourse) in October. Will i be conidered a late applicant even though I submitted the application on June 20th? I will also be enrolled in a Master's program at Rush univeristy in chicago from Sept to June 2012. Do dental schools really care about reading and math?? ugh!!! I dont know what to do. English is not my first language and Im concerned that this score will affect my chances greatly or will the TS-19 outweigh the Reading Comp??? Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
:confused:Hello everyone

So I have been studying for this test for about two months and working full time for children services at the same time! It is extremely hard to study and work full time but I still managed to take the exam although I didnt have great scores at all. I took it the first time in December and these were my scores:

TS- 17
Orgo- 18
Chem- 18
Bio- 18
Math-14 :scared:
PAT- :scared:
Reading-13!!!! :confused:
AA- 16

I just finished taking the DAT again today and these are my scores now:

TS-19
Orgo-19
Chem-18
Bio-19
Math-14
PAT-18
Reading-15 :confused:
AA-17

I am debating whether i should retake the test AGAIN (after I quit my job ofcourse) in October. Will i be conidered a late applicant even though I submitted the application on June 20th? I will also be enrolled in a Master's program at Rush univeristy in chicago from Sept to June 2012. Do dental schools really care about reading and math?? ugh!!! I dont know what to do. English is not my first language and Im concerned that this score will affect my chances greatly or will the TS-19 outweigh the Reading Comp??? Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

you probably have to take the dat again, math and reading are very very low (esp reading) the masters program will help a lot (depending you;'re current gpa) but you have to find out how to improve reading. also are you a URM? if so then call schools and ask them what might be you're best options. and also consider schools like meharry and howard

If you don't get in, then you'll have to retake anyway for the next application cycle so you mind as well do it now.

I am an URM (Latina Female). If i get into the master's program in Chicago, still retake the DAT? or submit my first semester grades to the schools and pray that this will be good enough?

I am an URM (Latina Female). If i get into the master's program in Chicago, still retake the DAT? or submit my first semester grades to the schools and pray that this will be good enough?

call schools and speak with them. tell them your situation and that you're a URM, again schools like meharry and howard seem like you're best options for 2012. call them tomorrow and find out what you need to do and if you have any shot. other than that you might have to really study super hard and retake it in october and pray that you can get better scores.