Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by sheikha9, Jul 18, 2006.
Actually, depending on which schools you're applying to, your DAT scores are not horrible. I think the average is around 18, and your GPA is around average as well, so if you have good extracurriculars, recs, and personal statement, I think you have a good chance. If you want to retake the DAT, taking it around winter break time is too late in my opinion, and it would probably be better to just re-apply for the 2008 cycle. The earliest you would be able to re-take it is in October, so I would take it then if you are set on retaking it, and then fax your scores immediately.
Well, just so you know, you can't retake the DAT for 90 days, so you would be looking at retaking it in October. So, I would keep the class, and focus on getting a good grade, but also keep studying for the test.
I personally applied last year and just recently got in after a LONG wait. But I've already reapplied and doing the whole process all over again...
My old stats: AA-18, TS-18, PAT-16, Total GPA: 3.7, Science- 3.6, BCP 3.5....I applied in June and did everything right away, sent money in, secondaries, did great in my interviews....but still only got waitlisted, and because of my recent DAT scores, I got in to one of the schools.
My advice...if you can't afford to apply, DONT, your chances are low because of the crazy competition out there. I wasted 2000 bucks last year and have to do it again. If you are confident in your ability to bring up your DATs in October, then apply NOW, the earlier the better, because your interviews won't be until oct/nov/dec and you can bring them in saying see, i got better scores i didn't give up! I wish I had either taken it again over the summer or just taken the year to take more classes and focus on my grades. Taking a year off (not completely, but taking some more classes that will help, like I am doing another bachelors that I'm interested in and is science related) could help you bring up your GPA as well as give you a little time to relax before 4 years of Dental School.
I hope that helps....i just wish i would have realized all this myself last summer and saved some money and having to tell everyone i didn't get in (until very recently)
If you decide to apply....find out how many out of state residents each school accepts before applying...i made that mistake on 2 schools last year and again wasted time and money.
thanks for replying!
gosh...i totally forgot that i have to wait 90 days before i can retake it
now i'm even more freaked out than i was initially!
Exactly my stats when I applied last year.
I don't know much about competition this year, however if you think that you could do little better taking it again, certainly do it. As far as your class conflict, I think just keep the class going, while you can study for DAT at nights. This time it should be little easier since you've already studied and taken the exam once. You may still wanna submit your AADSAS application with your current DAT and if you do better next time, send those in as well.
My GPA is almost identical to yours and my scores were 19/18/17 when I took it in late June. I am not planning to retake it unless I don't get in this app cycle and I will take it again next summer.
If you REALLY want to get in this year, you know you'll do better next time, and can afford to lose the 30% tuition for the class, then I'd retake the DAT. I'd rather have the schools receive my DAT scores augustish I assume rather than December.
Submit ur application and retake DAT. Make sure u do better the 2nd time.
you better be damn sure you'll do better the second time...
other than that, you look fine. just keep on truckin!
pardon my ignorance... you got into a school and you're reapplying?? and you're complaining about reapplying?? why not goto the school that accepted you??
oh no, im not reapplying, this is my first time
but hey, thanks everyone for responding!
i guess im going to take this summer class and continue to study in the meantime for the DAT and take it again in October.
i'm going to add a bunch of other schools to my list, oh and I have already submitted my application, june 14th..one thing i did right!!
but if i get lucky and get an interview by october...then maybe i won't even have to retake the DAT....but i'll be studying in the meantime to make sure I kick butttt the second time around!
even if you get an interview, it doesnt mean that you will get in for sure... as mentioned earlier, what u want is to be able to walk into the interview with new and better DAT scores. So you might as well retake it anyway.
Plan: Perform well in this summer biochem class while doing intermittent DAT studying so you don't forget the stuff. Next, soon as summer class finishes, hardcore DAT studying alongside fall semester classes until october DAT test. You might even be able to use your higher DAT score to overlook the lack of spectacular extracurriculars.
I'm going to say the best answer for your question is on predents.com. I'm looking at it right now...this guy got 18/18/17 (your score) with a slightly higher gpa and he got into many schools. People who had good scores and gpa and didn't get in because of their interviews. People can keep on yapping about their 3.6+ and 20 DAT, but it doesn't mean everything. If you go out in the real word and working with dentists, you'll know the last thing that matters is how well you did on your dat and your gpa. Something to keep in mind.