Retake GRE?

Started by ASdpt
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ASdpt

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Overall GPA: 3.68
Pre-req GPA: 3.61
University: UIC
Major/Minor: Kinesiology/Psychology
PT Hours: 1,000+ working as an aide, 160 at Rehab Institute of Chicago (inpatient), and 30 at nursing home.
GRE: 148V 148Q (despise standardized tests), not sure about AW yet.

Schools planning to apply to: UIC, Northwestern, Midwestern (Downers Grove), Rosalind Franklin, Governors State, University of Indianapolis, and maybe a couple more.

The schools listed above do not have any "minimum" GRE requirements, they just provide averages from previously admitted students. I feel like my chances of getting into a top tier PT program, such as Northwestern or UIC, are a bit far-fetched because of my GRE score. I would love to get accepted into any other of those schools though, especially Midwestern. How do my chances look with the current GRE? Would you recommend retaking? If I decide to retake it, it will probably be in like a month.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
 
Last edited:
Most schools likes to see a minimum of 300 combined and a 4 on the AW, regardless of what it says. The test is used as a "level playing surface" for the applicants and a way for the committe to weed out applicants immediately, simply based off of test scores.
 
So me and you have about the same stats except I think my GPA is about 3.7 but for my GRE I got a 148 V and 150 M and a 5 AW.

What I would do is email the schools and ask them directly. I emailed all the schools I wanted to apply to and each replied and reccomended whether or not I should retake the GRE.

If a school has a minimum score or none it all, they all will tell you something different like " you need to reach our minimum to be considered" or "we look at your whole application"

Your other stats look amazing! You still have a chance even though your a couple points shy of the 300. Best of luck
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Most schools likes to see a minimum of 300 combined and a 4 on the AW, regardless of what it says. The test is used as a "level playing surface" for the applicants and a way for the committe to weed out applicants immediately, simply based off of test scores.
Thanks a lot for you input!
 
So me and you have about the same stats except I think my GPA is about 3.7 but for my GRE I got a 148 V and 150 M and a 5 AW.

What I would do is email the schools and ask them directly. I emailed all the schools I wanted to apply to and each replied and reccomended whether or not I should retake the GRE.

If a school has a minimum score or none it all, they all will tell you something different like " you need to reach our minimum to be considered" or "we look at your whole application"

Your other stats look amazing! You still have a chance even though your a couple points shy of the 300. Best of luck
I really appreciate the response! I will look into emailing the schools in that case. Have you decided if you are going to retake or not?
 
I really appreciate the response! I will look into emailing the schools in that case. Have you decided if you are going to retake or not?

No problem!

Yeah after a long consideration I have decided not to retake it. I am confident enough in the rest of my application and I have been very selective with the schools I am applying to. I see some people on here applying to 20+ schools but I think that is pointless if you haven't directly talked to the admissions board to see if you are a good fit or if they will even consider you.

Also hopefully you get at least a 4 or 5 on your AW! My 5/6 on my AW put me at 93% which looks awesome.