Retake in Gen. Chem or Higher Level Chem class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Godric

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this question has been biting away at me for a bit, I am not sure what to do. Some advice would be appreciated.

Should I retake Gen.Chem I and II,

I got
Gen Chem. I = C
Gen Chem. II = C+

I just took Orgo I and got a B. I never liked chem related classes until orgo, and I really like Orgo, too bad my interest developed too late. I am going to try and aim for a better grade in Orgo II but what should I do regarding retaking Gen. Chem. I and II.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So this question has been biting away at me for a bit, I am not sure what to do. Some advice would be appreciated.

I got
Gen Chem. I = C
Gen Chem. II = C+

I just took Orgo I and got a B. I never liked chem related classes until orgo, and I really like Orgo, too bad my interest developed too late. I am going to try and aim for a better grade in Orgo II but what should I do regarding retaking Gen. Chem. I and II.

how are your other science grades and what is your current GPA if you don't mind me asking? I doubt you are in any trouble though...

I'd say wait to see what you get in ochem2. I think it would also depend upon what grades you have received in your bio classes. If you can get an A in ochem2 and you already have As in your bios, then you'll probably be okay. C's never really look good, but they won't completely kill your chances...just don't get too many...as in...don't get any more. Retaking them in summer school might be good too.

Members don't see this ad :)

I got
Gen Chem. I = C
Gen Chem. II = C+

I just took Orgo I and got a B.
Whether you "should" retake would depend on how well you grasped the essential material that the MCAT covers. If you did not, and doubt your ability for self study, then you should retake.

On the other hand, you may retake as a GPA boost, even if it isn't essential.

If you grasped the material well and were a victim of harsh grading practices or mischance, then you need not retake provided you continue your upward grade trend in Chem and can drown out those C-range grades with a sea of As in other sciences.

for my current gpa stands as 2.9x
All my grades for this fall aren't out yet, my sciences classes are, and in my Bio courses
stands

Bio 101/102= B
Bio course this semester = C

I should have included this info int he first post, this is why I am considering retaking it.
I honestly think Chem II the grading scheme was made unfair at the end.
Chem I, was not handling the material very well.

I have made it a priority to review my gen. chem in the summer, maybe by sitting in a class.

Additional info, I am taking a higher level bio call next semester and taking physcs I and II in the summer, along with a history class, planning to be a 12 credit summer.

As for my gpa if i retake it, MD schools wont replace the grade, so will it really help me ?

would it look bad if I retook chem 1 ?

if you can't make A's in these, what makes you think upper level chemistry classes will be any different? not saying you can't, just something to keep in mind i guess.

Not any worse than a 2.9 looks right now.
thanks, so if i retake Chem I and i get better grade (B and higher) and I do better in my next classes, it is still possible to raise my gpa ? Or has it become a lost cause. To date I have taken only 57 credits. And next semester I am taking 16 credits. and in the summer I am aiming to take 11-12 credits.

if you can't make A's in these, what makes you think upper level chemistry classes will be any different? not saying you can't, just something to keep in mind i guess.

True, I do keep that in mind, but I think I have changed from the way I study and everything, I am going to prove it with my next semester grades. And I was toying with the possibility that if I do well in Orgo II then maybe I might take Inorganic Chem, I am not sure but I do think that I have changed enough to do better.