1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Retake Labs?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by WithHeart, Dec 11, 2008.

1. WithHeart

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi all,

My situation with the Gen Chem sequence is that I took Gen Chem I and II at a state school this summer, got a B- in I and an F in II. I also took the labs for them and got an A in both.

I decided to retake both Gen Chem I and II at my university this year, since I failed Gen Chem II and also since most pharm schools prefer both courses of a required sequence to be taken at the same school.

For the labs, however, I was wondering if I should retake them as well even though I earned an A in both courses at the state school. Since I am retaking the Gen Chem sequence at my uni, does that mean that I have to retake them with the labs as well?

I understand that the only sure way would be to ask the schools myself (which I will do), but I was wondering what your thoughts were.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. eightonesix

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Since most schools prefer (or maybe even expect) the sequences done at the same university, I would think that you would have to take the labs along side the course. Does your university offer the lab separately or is it integrated with the course?

4. WithHeart

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    They are offered separately at my school.

#3 WithHeart, Dec 11, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  5. fenixtnlfan

fenixtnlfan P2 Wildcat
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I wouldn't retake the labs as it would be a waste of your money and time. I think it's rare that a school would care if you took them at the same place. You can always look at the pharm schools you think you will apply to and see if they have a policy about that.

6. illtreaturite1

illtreaturite1 PharmD in 2013
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Don't know if my story will help you much. My last ochem classes and labs were in 2000. The school I'm applying to has a 7 year statute. When I got my transcripts evaluated by the assistant dean she told me to retake organic, but the labs weren't really necessary. It depends on the school.

Good luck.

7. PharMed2016

PharMed2016 Eternal Scholar
    Physician Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think generally you have to retake the labs to since most chemistry courses are bundled in with their lecture as most are that I know of.