Retake Labs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WithHeart

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My situation with the Gen Chem sequence is that I took Gen Chem I and II at a state school this summer, got a B- in I and an F in II. I also took the labs for them and got an A in both.

I decided to retake both Gen Chem I and II at my university this year, since I failed Gen Chem II and also since most pharm schools prefer both courses of a required sequence to be taken at the same school.

For the labs, however, I was wondering if I should retake them as well even though I earned an A in both courses at the state school. Since I am retaking the Gen Chem sequence at my uni, does that mean that I have to retake them with the labs as well?

I understand that the only sure way would be to ask the schools myself (which I will do), but I was wondering what your thoughts were.

Members don't see this ad.

Since most schools prefer (or maybe even expect) the sequences done at the same university, I would think that you would have to take the labs along side the course. Does your university offer the lab separately or is it integrated with the course?

Since most schools prefer (or maybe even expect) the sequences done at the same university, I would think that you would have to take the labs along side the course. Does your university offer the lab separately or is it integrated with the course?

They are offered separately at my school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't retake the labs as it would be a waste of your money and time. I think it's rare that a school would care if you took them at the same place. You can always look at the pharm schools you think you will apply to and see if they have a policy about that.

Don't know if my story will help you much. My last ochem classes and labs were in 2000. The school I'm applying to has a 7 year statute. When I got my transcripts evaluated by the assistant dean she told me to retake organic, but the labs weren't really necessary. It depends on the school.

Good luck.