Retake MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Been studying to retake my MCAT again and have previously taken it twice a month apart (not a great idea, I know 🙁 ). The first time was not my best (family member died in a tragic accident days before the MCAT) and being deadset on attending med school last year, I rashly decided to take it again a month later, improving by 2 points on CARS by chance, clearly.

Will be reapplying this cycle, so 2 questions:

1.) Ideally would like to get into a T20 but are my chances shot by taking it twice... ie is taking a third time pointless for this goal even if the score is T20 level?

2.) Should I include the reasoning in the app behind why I took the test twice so close in proximity?

Thanks in advance.
 
Last edited:
If you have a strong well-rounded application, I’m sure those scores are good enough.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
do not take it again. doing so without scoring 520+ will not make adcoms question your academic ability, but your judgment

Yea that's what I was thinking. I haven't taken any practice tests yet, but I def won't take it if I don't get consistent 520+

Do you still think I should explain my reasoning for the back to back exams?
 
Yea that's what I was thinking. I haven't taken any practice tests yet, but I def won't take it if I don't get consistent 520+

Do you still think I should explain my reasoning for the back to back exams?

two months gap isn't too bad. no need to explain it.
the general rule is this - dont point out things that don't need to be pointed out