Retake MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cacahuetes757

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reapplicant planning to apply this coming cycle for Fall 2023 matriculation. I applied this past cycle for Fall 2021 matriculation. I received 5 IIs and 5 WLs. I took the MCAT in 2019 and scored a 520, but that score would be expired at a lot of the schools I applied to last cycle, including 3 of the schools I interviewed at. Would it be smarter to retake the exam so I don't have to limit myself in terms of which schools I apply to, or to only apply to schools that would accept my score? I am confident I would be able to score as well as, if not slightly better, than I did the first time around, but of course retaking the exam is just an extra hassle. Currently leaning towards retaking, but open to hearing others' opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend a retake. Obviously there is a risk, but if you are likely to get the same score or higher you can apply to any program you want. Without the retake you are limited, essentially rejecting yourself from schools you might be happy to attend.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd retake, but first I would confirm with each school. I would even consider reaching out to the schools where you were waitlisted and ask if you would need to retake even though you already applied. I'll add that your odds with 5 WLs are pretty high to be accepted this cycle.

May I ask why you're waiting 2 years to reapply? With that score and 5 IIs, you seem to have a good shot as a reapplicant.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd retake, but first I would confirm with each school. I would even consider reaching out to the schools where you were waitlisted and ask if you would need to retake even though you already applied. I'll add that your odds with 5 WLs are pretty high to be accepted this cycle.

May I ask why you're waiting 2 years to reapply? With that score and 5 IIs, you seem to have a good shot as a reapplicant.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Hello Kevin, thank you for the response! The reason I didn't apply this cycle for Fall 2022 matriculation is that I did not do enough last year (the year while I was applying) to significantly improve my application. But I will definitely reach back out to the schools I was WL'd at, thank you for the advice!