retake ochem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wiscomicro

Stretching
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is a common thread but I wanted a non-trad opinion.

Finished school 10 years ago (micro degree) with a 3.5 overall, 3.2 science GPA. Never took my second semester of ochem because I didn't need it. In the last year I decided I really want to study medicine. Now I'm working full time and taking the second semester of ochem. Getting a low B. I feel like since I've been out of school for so long, I should prove that I can get an A or at least an A/B in the course. I took the first semester of ochem (got a B) 5 years ago and reviewed this summer but I don't think I prepared enough. Do I just stick it out and get the B? Or get a W on my transcript and take it next semester? I also took a physiology course last semester and got a B in that as well. I'm worried all these Bs will look bad on my transcript.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you talked to your professor? Can you pull this through?

I would do everything in your power to try to get that A and avoid that W. There are a number of supplemental books out there that are surprisingly helpful such as organic chem as a second language and so on and so on. You may also consider picking up a tutor?

My understanding is that postbac is your time to shine and show you are ready for the med-school pace and difficulty, this is your chance to show you are ready.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I've talked to the professor. Going to meet with a tutor tomorrow. Funny that you mention chemistry as a second language. I have been using it all semester. I think it's a great book and has helped me do well on the quizzes. But I'm having trouble with the more conceptual problems which come up on the exams. I noticed I made stupid little mistakes on some of the problems. So, I hope the tutor will help with the concepts and then I need to practice, practice, practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
like the previous post mentioned, post-bac or smp is the best way to improve or show that you have mastered o-chem. as far as i know i don't think you can retake o-chem after you earned a B. but if you take post-bac route then you start all over with a fresh graduate gpa so you will be fine. but what will really prove to the med school adcom that you know o-chem is doing excellent on the mcat's biological science section's o-chem :)

I found it is critical to recheck your work (if you have time). Typically the exams are long and at some point mental exhaustion will set in. Something that helps me to is take notes on the side of each question including multiple choice, then when going back to double check you can see if your notes match up to your answers...this can save you a couple of points in the end.

mcat orgo is different from undergrad orgo. fyi. not too hard but tricky.

Thanks for the tips and support. It's nice to hear. Fyi, I did very un-scientific experiment for the last quiz (carboxylic acid derivatives). I only used the lecture notes and second language book to prepare and got a good grade. Our textbook is useful for certain reactions but given a choice and time constraints, I'm wondering how much use it really is. A couple people who've had the professor have told me to focus more on his notes than the book... But I still do the problems he recommends from the class textbook and use yet another text that he actually prefers.

Hey Wis,

Congrats on doing well...I think one of the biggest issues with being a non-traditional student doing the premed meat grinder is learning how to study for science exams. With each course/teacher there is that initial learning curve for how to study, and once you settle into the groove life becomes a lot easier. I have heard that med school is similar that initially its the whole tacky "fire hose" analogy, but once you settle into its much easier.

I ended up with a B which is disappointing, mainly because I did very well on the third exam and then well on the final. I worked my ass off but it was too little too late. Nothing I can do about it now though. I'm still planning on taking the MCAT in May or June. I'm trying to find contentment in knowing that I can work hard and learned a ton but it's still not easy to accept. :confused:

I ended up with a B which is disappointing, mainly because I did very well on the third exam and then well on the final. I worked my ass off but it was too little too late. Nothing I can do about it now though. I'm still planning on taking the MCAT in May or June. I'm trying to find contentment in knowing that I can work hard and learned a ton but it's still not easy to accept. :confused:

I don't know if you'll find my comments encouraging or discouraging but I'd more consider why you are not content. Did you learn enough? If so, then let it go. If not, figure out why and start studying. Separately, learn how to get good grades. Yes, I mean separately.

I'll say it (though Longshanks was flamed for admitting it- lol) but I know how to get A's. So, I don't find grades to be a an accurate reflection of what I've learned, thus I'm never impressed by high grades or too judge mental of lower ones. I have two associate degrees, one bachelors, and 1/3 of a masters. I've only earned 2 B's in my life- frankly, it's a simple process of understanding the rubric, and working hard in the right ways. Simple. I almost always exceed 95% in my classes....big whoop. Means very little. I'm a skilled student- but that skill set is separate and apart from learning. I'm not especially smart :laugh: (instead resourceful + organized + driven + exceptional follower of directions --> high GPA)

I define learning as modifying your intuition about something, and if you have not developed an intuition about organic chemistry, THAT's what you need to worry about- not your grade. OTOH, if you have, then kudos! Sorry teachers, but measurement and evaluation are for YOU not for the student.

For my premed classes, I'm learning for me. Just me. My way, my time, my schedule. I've taken a bunch of pre-premeds just so I can go nice and slow....marinating in the material before being distracted by having to earn a good grade in the actual premeds. Adcoms want good grades, so learn grade strategy, but seriously, go for the knowledge. (bonus- go for both :xf:)