Retake or no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjzgrk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took my DAT July 31, should I retake it beginning of November? Or will that be too late? Or would the school tell me if I should retake it and still have a shot? I received 19pat, 18rc, 17qr, 17genchem, 18orgo and 17 bio. I applied to 48 schools. And have completed a post baccalaureate of intense graduate school medical bio-med sciences with 3.53 GPa.

Members don't see this ad.

I took my DAT July 31, should I retake it beginning of November? Or will that be too late? Or would the school tell me if I should retake it and still have a shot? I received 19pat, 18rc, 17qr, 17genchem, 18orgo and 17 bio. I applied to 48 schools. And have completed a post baccalaureate of intense graduate school medical bio-med sciences with 3.53 GPa.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=942453 (doc toothache's Guides)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=14371439&postcount=14 (Chances?)

Have you e-submit yet?

48 schools is just a big waste of money. You really were not able to narrow it down anymore?
the 17 in bio and genchem is rough butt its not awful. I would personally retake if i were you I would retake ASAP. Focus on other things as well like community service and shadowing.

I would think 48 schools some one would get in to most of them and only go to one school therefore leaving a seat open at the other schools hoping that seat could be filled up by me? .... Retaking it in November wont be too late?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would think 48 schools some one would get in to most of them and only go to one school therefore leaving a seat open at the other schools hoping that seat could be filled up by me? .... Retaking it in November wont be too late?

There are a bunch of schools that won't take DAT scores after November, but some (many) still will.

You haven't given us enough info to work with. What's your AA/TS? What are your overall BCP, science, and total GPAs? What is your background in terms of extracurriculars and volunteering?

I agree that applying to 48 schools is beyond overkill. Half of those schools aren't even out of state friendly in the first place (especially not for people with average/below average stats) which means you just wasted a decent chunk of change on application fees.

Hello guys, so I need some people's advice on my chances. And who ever has been in the same boat as me.
I graduated undergraduate in 2010 with an over all gpa 2.68.... Bad. I got sick last senior year with the swine flu which I was out for three weeks (with doctor documentation, I still have those documents), my teacher decided to fail me since I missed the "withdraw period" and "missed too many classes to take final exam" this brought my gpa down. I had to take 21 credits altogether to graduate on time while my immune system was immunosuppressed.

I did a dental internship, worked as a dental technician about 120 while shadowing two dentists. For the same hours. I took two years off and worked with my family in the restaurant as I have been since I was 9years old. I have a successful business for 21 years and currently opened up a real estate agency and making commercial properties along with managing real estate and other fun stuff. But that is my hobby; trying to steer away from the restaurant business, even though it makes great money you work almost 80-90 hours a week. Basically you have no life. Hence why I am looking to apply for dental school for a comfortable living. So I decided to go back to school at Philadelphia college of osteopathic medicine (PCOM).

I did my postbac, but it wasn't an ordinary postbac, it consisted of medical school graduate courses, for example:
Molecular basis of medicine, immunology, human anatomy (with human cadavers), physiology, medical pharmacology, histology, and neuroscience. I finished and received my Post-bac certificate for BIOmedical sciences with a GPA of 3.53. I have great letters of evaluation rom both my committee and dentist.
I had taken the DAT back in 2010 got a 15AA SUCKED. Took it recently July 31,2013 and recieved:
PAT 19
QR 17
RC18
ORGO 18
BIO17
GEN CH 17
AA 17 (so it says) i studied 3 months for this and SDN people and I think it was the hard version of the exam based on the percentiles). Literally the bio section took up most of time and left some gen chem and orgo chem blank :( shouldnt have ran out of time even though I practiced them on DAT qvault, bootcamp etc. the bio was extremely hard had never seen before. And I studied.

What are my chances? Anyone in a similar boat as I am? And what should I do? Can't raise my over all gpa up too high currently with post bac is 2.94 but it is so hard because I have about 170hr credits. Any feedback? Thanks

Dental background seems solid.

GPA is not solid, and puts you at below average. The special post-bac will help, but overall, your numbers are still going to be low. That will get you screened out at a few places right off the bat. Your swine flu situation (and better post-bac GPA) will be taken into account, but there's only so much damage that can mitigate.

DAT is also below average, but not significantly so.

In short, your numbers are going to hold you back, but it's not impossible for you to get in somewhere. It's good you applied broadly but you probably should have checked the ADA dental guide to cut down schools that weren't going to be a realistic option. You really need to ask yourself what your application brings to the table that will make a dental school want to select you over other candidates with stronger numbers.

Thank you for your response means alot me. My business experience my masters in organizational development and leadership in bioscience health profession (biomedical sciences). My strong comeback. My maturity. My willing to retake the DAT if and when any institution would consider me.
If there is any other advice please do tell me!!

I applied to 48 schools because in the end I get the same degree. And I am willing to work hard at it. And after talking tommy school counselor a and advisors try told me to apply to more schools. They (over 5 advisors) at different schools said to apply to over 10-17 schools I maybe overfilled it but wanted all the school thoughts and ideas. I made money and have lots of it so if it means to apply to all schools and get into school I will do it. Especially after working hard! And I aim to continue but I don't know how to get there attention this cycle since it might be too late to retake the DAT. Should I be studying for it just im case until November comes around.