retake or not just yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NotForTheMoney

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
it's been 3 years since i've taken biology 1 and 2 and chem 1 and 2*don't ask why i got sidetracked* but im almost done with my organic so do will it help me to take 4 of the science over to help me on the mcat?

or if i study for the mcats months ahead will that do? cause i know eventually i will have to take my science over b4 med school once accepted cause my sciences will be outdated?

Members don't see this ad.

it's been 3 years since i've taken biology 1 and 2 and chem 1 and 2*don't ask why i got sidetracked* but im almost done with my organic so do will it help me to take 4 of the science over to help me on the mcat?

or if i study for the mcats months ahead will that do? cause i know eventually i will have to take my science over b4 med school once accepted cause my sciences will be outdated?

- Would it help you? Obviously, it will. Are they work retaking? Doubtful. If you did well the first time, I wouldn't retake them. I would just put that effort in studying the material in a good review book.

- I haven't heard of any med schools making people retake their sciences because they were "outdated" after only 3-5 years. Obviously, it will depend on the school. I took the majority of mine in 2001 and I was fine. Yes, I had to study my ass off since I had forgotten most of the material, but I was fine.

- "MCAT" stands for "Medical College Admission Test". There is no "S" at the end. Therefore, it is MCAT, not MCATS.

Good luck! :luck:

lol thanks for the quick reply. yea i made a's on all my bio related courses just in chem im not so bright and gotta do more than just listen to the teacher. i actually had to put in effort. guess my brain is good for memorizing not so great for working out problems. so what is a good way for me to improve on my chemistry?

oh yea congrats on 2013. that was suppose to be my year too but like i said.. i slacked off.. 2014 now =*( damn

why couldnt i find this site earlier!!!! wouldve motivated me more!! and not get sidetracked

lol thanks for the quick reply. yea i made a's on all my bio related courses just in chem im not so bright and gotta do more than just listen to the teacher. i actually had to put in effort. guess my brain is good for memorizing not so great for working out problems. so what is a good way for me to improve on my chemistry?

oh yea congrats on 2013. that was suppose to be my year too but like i said.. i slacked off.. 2014 now =*( damn

why couldnt i find this site earlier!!!! wouldve motivated me more!! and not get sidetracked

I highly recommend Berkeley Review for your chemistry. I was horrible in chemistry, and also was considering retaking the courses for a while. However, at the end I realized that I could put that effort into knowing every single detail in the review books.

I also memorize better than actually working out problems. However, after you do problems over and over again, you'll start getting the hang of it. Trust me, you will be surprised by what practice can do for you.

Also, in 10 years, it won't matter whether it was 2013 or 2014. As long as you get in. Trust your instincts, and work your ass off. You'll hate the MCAT and the whole dam process. However, in the end, when you get that first acceptance letter, you'll realize that it was all worth it.

:luck::xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. There is probably no need to take the classes over. I would recommend taking physics before the MCAT. You did not mention that you had it. For many, it is the worst part along with verbal.

BR has great PS materials. Their organic is good too.

You can memorize all the biology stuff from TPR or Kaplan. I also think a physio and genetics class would be better than taking basic Bio 1 and 2.

:)

Yea, I'm sure the VR part will be tough for me due to the fact that English is my secondary language. Not only will I be busy trying to comprehend what passage is trying to say, but I will also be trying to translate the whole thing in my head at the same time. Talk about a double-dousie

Yea, I'm sure the VR part will be tough for me due to the fact that English is my secondary language. Not only will I be busy trying to comprehend what passage is trying to say, but I will also be trying to translate the whole thing in my head at the same time. Talk about a double-dousie

Most schools will factor that in so I would work towards an 8 or higher in the verbal. They will give you some room down to an 8 from what I have seen. With of course, 10+ in the sciences.

This is still all in general. Check with schools you are interested in to make sure how they see things.