Retake or not to retake?? please help me decide..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beginning

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey future doctors, sorry about not posting this on the official retake threat, but I just really needed help answering this question..

So I got a VR9 PS12 BS10 total 31R on the MCAT my first try. I have a 3.62 cum gpa and close to 3.7 science gpa. I'm currently at Ivy leage college (as if this matters), and I have average to above average EC (at least I think).

I'm not aiming for top 10 or top 20 med schools. I just want to get in to a descent med school as in anywhere below top 20's to top 80's or 100's even. I used to get much better scores in practice tests, so I'm kind of disappointed at my score, but if I'm not aiming for the Top20's is this okay do you guys think? The answer I'd like to hear is that the score is just fine and that I don't need to retake it, but I really want some objective opinions on this..

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

31's not a bad score, but sounds like its the grey area for many people. What were your AAMC averages, and specifically what did you get 9, 10, and 11?

I don't remember for sure, but for AAMC 9,10,11, I think I had either 31 or 32, but definitely no higher than 33.

Personally, I don't think you should consider retaking. You scored around your AAMC FL averages and it still a competitive score. You aren't really shooting for the top 20's, so I think this score will suffice for your goals.

If I were you, I would only consider retaking if there was something major that happened on test day that hurt your performance or if you score was way below your averages. Given what I know, I think you'd be better off keeping this score and spending time on school/EC's rather than studying for a retake.

Status
Not open for further replies.