Retake or not to retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taddpole

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! So, I'm looking for some "professional", or at least well educated advice, and what you would do in my position...

So, I took the April MCAT and got a 29N. Not so hot in my book...I've been studying again and retaking more full lengths, and I've gotten a 26 (Kaplan test, usually harder) a 27(Kaplan again) 28 (AAMC) and 29 (AAMC, that one I just took today).

I'm concerned that if I retake it, I have a chance of actually going down and not up, considering I havent had a higher score yet. The other two possibilities, obviously, are going up (which is slim, since it hasnt happened yet), or staying the same.

What would you all do in my shoes?

Thanks mucho....

Members don't see this ad.

taddpole said:
Hey everyone! So, I'm looking for some "professional", or at least well educated advice, and what you would do in my position...

So, I took the April MCAT and got a 29N. Not so hot in my book...I've been studying again and retaking more full lengths, and I've gotten a 26 (Kaplan test, usually harder) a 27(Kaplan again) 28 (AAMC) and 29 (AAMC, that one I just took today).

I'm concerned that if I retake it, I have a chance of actually going down and not up, considering I havent had a higher score yet. The other two possibilities, obviously, are going up (which is slim, since it hasnt happened yet), or staying the same.

What would you all do in my shoes?

Thanks mucho....

depends on what you are shooting for, how much more you have studied, and how much more comfortable you feel now compared to before. i say that if you feel more comfortable with the format and material now, then take it and void it if you think it wasn't great. it's 200 down the drain, but if you are willing to pay that much for the experience, go for it.

jintonic5 said:
depends on what you are shooting for, how much more you have studied, and how much more comfortable you feel now compared to before. i say that if you feel more comfortable with the format and material now, then take it and void it if you think it wasn't great. it's 200 down the drain, but if you are willing to pay that much for the experience, go for it.

I'm just worried about going down...since all of my scores have been all over the place and only one even matches the official score....screw the money, I care about getting into schools...

taddpole said:
I'm just worried about going down...since all of my scores have been all over the place and only one even matches the official score....screw the money, I care about getting into schools...

I'm in exactly the same boat, 29N last time around and practice scores all over the place right now. However, I feel prepared and I'm going for it because I really think that I'm in a better frame of mind now. Even if my score only goes up by a point, or redistributes (so that I don't have an 8) I'll feel like I accomplished something.

Good luck!

I think retaking it is a big mistake for you guys. A 29 is a very good score and you are only putting yourselves later in the application cycle by putting your apps on hold for the scores to come in. You practice scores are not so much better that it looks like you are going to get a dramatic rise in score. I remember reading on a bunch of threads here that if you feel you can't raise it by three or more points do not retake it. Listen, I hope you guys get your 30+, I just do not want to see competitive applicants miss out on a chance to get an early interview to just raise the score one or two pts. I think the risks outweigh the benefits.