Retake or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ashleyzzzzz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took my first DAT last night, so my brain is still dead. But I am in a bit of dilemma of deciding to retake or not. Here are my scores:
PA 20
QR 21
RC 17
Biology 16
GC 23
Organic 22
TS 20
AA 20

Honestly, I am not complaining about RC even though it's a bit low, as English is not my first language and I had only slightly more than a week to really prepare for DAT (literally registered 9 days before my test). However, the big fat 16 in biology is quite surprising since I got a 20 in my online practice test... I have to admit, it was hard though, harder than DAT destroyer and much much harder than my practice test.

Considering the rolling admissions, and the not so bad TS and AA, should I retake DAT? Or should I send in my applications first and then take it again? I was not a science major in college (studied math and economics), have a sGPA of 3.2 (which is not that great, but my premed office told me that I am ok considering my course loads), and oGPA of 3.6. Debating. Advice appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thank you mardr2b and Glimmer1991! My top choice is Tufts, and is also considering some other private schools like NYU and BU. Probably going to apply for some public schools that has a big out of state ratio too... I just emailed my school's premed office and see what they have to say.
Glimmer1991 -- does people usually contact the admissions office for this kind of issues? I don't want to be labeled as an "annoying applicant". Lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I would contact the dean/director of admissions from the school or schools you want to apply! I know at the school I want to apply, you can email him anytime for advice and he will tell us exactly where you need to be!

Excellent scores though! Honestly, I think it will be fine with your scores!! I mean come on, the dat bio sucks!!! It's so unpredictable. Good luck!

Thank you for your encouragement, gage1124! I am going to send emails to them this weekend!

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, looks like DAT changes each time. Some people get easy sections, some get tough. Looks like you had an experiments Bio section or something since it was this tough? Was there something that you did not cover in classes?