Retake or not

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CluvK

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I recently got my MCAT scores back, which were 12/5/12. This was a retake from my first try (11/5/8). I knew verbal is my weakness and I had tried so hard to improve it. However, you can tell I didn't make it. I am not sure whether I should retake MCAT a third time or just wait and see what is going on in my applications. My sGPA and GPA are 3.75+ and have average ECs. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

yes. the 5 is killing you.

are you ESL? what methods did you use for verbal? time to find another method.

do you have a seat in a January test? if not, your chances are probably limited to LUCOM and maybe the newer schools.

yes. the 5 is killing you.

are you ESL? what methods did you use for verbal? time to find another method.

do you have a seat in a January test? if not, your chances are probably limited to LUCOM and maybe the newer schools.

Yes, I am ESL. I have used all of the verbal prep materials you can find on the market, so I run of out prep materials for the third try. No, I don't have a seat in January test.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I am ESL. I have used all of the verbal prep materials you can find on the market, so I run of out prep materials for the third try. No, I don't have a seat in January test.

well, you will get some leeway with being ESL. How long ago did you start learning English?

maybe @Goro can chime in... I'm thinking if I was in your shoes, I would pray that one of these schools would show me some love: LUCOM, MUCOM, ACOM, VCOM-Auburn, CUSOM

I am not sure if any of these schools have a minimum subject score or not. You would have to check for that individually.

[
well, you will get some leeway with being ESL. How long ago did you start learning English?

maybe @Goro can chime in... I'm thinking if I was in your shoes, I would pray that one of these schools would show me some love: LUCOM, MUCOM, ACOM, VCOM-Auburn, CUSOM

I am not sure if any of these schools have a minimum subject score or not. You would have to check for that individually.

Thank you for the information. I started to learn English 5 years ago and I know it was too late to learn a new language. It obviously reflects on my verbal score:(

A 5 in Verbal will keep you out of all schools. There's no other choice but to retake.

I am ESL, too ^^ I think what you need to do is change your test taking strategy & figure out test-taking tips, rather than just practicing :) Don't retake until you score higher on practice tests.

Last edited by a moderator:

Many have a stated minimum 7-8 cutoff for subsections on their website but obviously that does not hold true for every applicant and hence the idea of a holistic review comes into play for each application. Again it's about avoiding having to place your bets on a strong area of your application and hoping they'll turn a blind eye to the weak spot.

OP. Do not lose hope, I have had a few ESL friends get into DO programs this cycle with a 5 in VR but each had an incredible story and strong ECs.

If you have not applied this year I suggest boosting your ECs as much as possible for next cycle if you are not ready for a retake and/or cannot retake the old MCAT and apply with what you have to DO programs. I do not see anything good coming out of taking the new MCAT if reading comprehension is a difficult aspect for you and you haven't prepared well for it. Best of luck to you and congrats on your spectacular PS and BS sub scores!

We expect ESL applicants to do better than a VR5. OP might have best luck with the newest schools.

We expect ESL applicants to do better than a VR5. OP might have best luck with the newest schools.

I figured a 5 was low, just didn't know if it was worth applying at all.

Unless school's you apply to have cuttoff's,
you are good because those 12's won't be overlooked

*** BUT, you must show that you can converse well during the interview. Meaning, you don't talk too slowly/have difficulties speaking/understanding the english language.

Can you do that?

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you guys for the thoughtful inputs:).