retake or take another class instead?

Started by tobla
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tobla

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone-

I am thinking to retake BIO courses(I got two C-'s in bio)
but I want to ask if it would be better if I replace those with two other BIO courses(upper division).
What's your suggestion?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've gotten a couple C-'s too and they are GPA destroyers. You will definitely want to retake them. The good thing is though that retaking a class is much easier and you'll do well the second time
 
You should definitely retake them because they will be easier the second time, and it is important to have a better grade than C-'s in those basic BIO classes.
 
Yep. You need a better than Cs in basic biology. Otherwise your foundation is so shaky that you can't build on top of it successfully. For a retake on something so basic and central to your future education you really should be shooting for strong replacement grades.
I disagree. If it's the basic Bio course you did bad in, while upper level Bio courses you did good in, retaking the entry basic level Bio class doesn't really do much for you. For example if you get a C in bio 1, but get As in bio 3 4 and 5, does going back and retaking the easiest Bio class do much for you? It may boost your GPA but personally I would take a different class.
 
I say retake, but...

Minnesota Pharmacy says prerequisites must be completed with a C- or higher.

So I guess some schools will take a C-.
 
Thanks all for your replies..
I was debating because my school has a pharmacy school and it takes C-s.
I talked to the officials and they did not recommend me retaking prereqs with C- and above because my GPA in the course will be averaged anyways.
But I guess I would go for retaking those two courses since I might apply for other schools too.