Retake Pre-requisites or Masters Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTBound3

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of hearing back from PT schools now, I still have one more to hear from but unfortunately things haven't gone my way so far. I know that I want to try again next cycle but I'm conflicted. There are a few prerequisites I can retake, but I was wondering if I should go and get my masters instead? I know that can cancel out the GRE score as well. I'm not sure what schools would want to see in order to increase my chances when I reapply. Any advice is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Need more details about your stats. In general I would not recommend a masters program unless you have a genuine interest in it and it is fully funded (tuition paid + stipend) through TA or RAships.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't believe people are still attempting the masters route to get into PT school. Financially, it is very difficult to overcome with PT salaries nowadays.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the process of hearing back from PT schools now, I still have one more to hear from but unfortunately things haven't gone my way so far. I know that I want to try again next cycle but I'm conflicted. There are a few prerequisites I can retake, but I was wondering if I should go and get my masters instead? I know that can cancel out the GRE score as well. I'm not sure what schools would want to see in order to increase my chances when I reapply. Any advice is much appreciated!
It's way too much work, time, and money to do Masters. Better re-take classes, find less competitive schools, schools that don't require GRE, or those that consider only the last 60-100 units you took.

I would call the top three or four schools that you applied to and didn't get in and simply ask them what they would like to se you do to improve your application. You'll get the info you need AND put your name and dedication in front of them so that they are more likely to remember you as really interested.

No don't bother. I have a master's (not to get into PT school, I did it when I was on a different career track) and trust me when I say no one cares. In terms of being accepted, it is at best a talking point during your interview. And most schools make you take the GREs even if you do have an MS - schools that waive the GRE for a MS are the exception, not the rule.