retake prereqs or take upper level classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

futuredpt1313

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So it looks like I will be re-applying if I am not accepted off of 1 of the 5 wait-lists I am currently on.

For those of you who have re-applied or who have an opinion on this, would you recommend retaking Bio I, where I had a B, or take an advanced course such as Cell Bio (obviously planning on getting an A) that would count for the same prereq but may be viewed more favorably?

I also had a C in Chem II but plan on earning an A or B in organic this semester, so I don't think I'll retake that. I am considering taking an abnormal psych course since I had a B in developmental psych.

Let me know what you think!
 
Some programs will not take the A in o-chem to replace your general chemistry grades, so just be aware of that. I personally would try to retake that course if possible.

I would say call each individual program to find out how many of them would take upper division courses to replace your general biology / chemistry courses. That way you can make the decision if it's worth it to retake chemistry II or biology I.
 
Retake. Upper-level courses will only impress schools if your pre-req grades are good. You have a better chance of obtaining an A in BIO 100 than you do in BIO 400. A B or C in microbiology will not look impressive.