SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Retake Question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ks417, May 14, 2008.

1. ks417

ks417 2+ Year Member

Dec 8, 2007
    I'm about to end my Freshman year. I've only recieved one B this whole year and will end up with only one B. My B was in a "prinicples of bio" class (4 hours). I ended with an 89.43 and my teacher didn't round up. Regardless I had mono first semester and missed a lab and wasn't allowed to make it up.

Should I retake this class?

If so, would it trump by "B". Do medical schools take your highest grade if it's a retake?

Also, If i want to figure my gpa afterwards and assuming I get an a would I have a 4.0 (since it was my only b) or add the class in again to figure out my "new" gpa with the original B or just use an A?

Hope that makes since. Sorry, I've been studying all day, kinda tired and sloppy.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. chad5871

chad5871 Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Portland, OR
    No, don't retake. A B is perfectly acceptable, especially in your freshman year. It wouldn't matter anyway because AMCAS calculates both grades if you retake.

And try to lighten up a little! Don't get too bogged down by getting a single B - it's okay!
  4. ks417

ks417 2+ Year Member

Dec 8, 2007
    I assumed they wouldn't just let the b go.. goodness.

I'm trying to lighten up! I just read so many posts about fellow pre-meds who always say they wish they wouldn't have lightened up so much or mess around on some classes because in the end the GPA is important.

Thanks for the encouragement!